Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle is bent, use a jig?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JTB, Nov 8, 2001.

1. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

Dec 5, 2000
    I noticed awhile back that my rear tires were angled slightly in. My 12 bolt appears to be bent. I pulled the axle and plan to use a bottle jack and chain to straighten it out. Problem is, how do I determine when it is straight. Can anyone think of a good way to measure whether or not it is straight? I don't think that eyeballing it will be sufficient. Do i need to build some sort of a jig or is there an easier way? I plan on trussing is when I get it straight. Thanks for the help,
  2. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    Well...i work at Freightliner Of Arizona and this is how we do it on semi's that get it fender bender's...lol. First get a number 3 common flat tip or something else you can use to scribe a line....a can of white spray paint....a tape measure and a buddy to help. Jack up one end of the axle with tire attached....have buddy spin the tire while you use the spray paint to make a line in the center of the tread....then scribe a reference line in the middle of the wet paint.....do this on both sides. Now take maesurements from the top all the way across...and from the two sides...this will tell you how much she is bent and in which direction....happy bending.

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!