Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle leakage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bhintz, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

went outside today and found the gear lube leak out were the axle goes into the axle tube on the driver side and its a pretty steady drip, what cause this? I just had it in 4wp and it didnt do it before but now it is, and the problem w/ that is what they did was put on extend brakes and new calipers but they had to grind the calipers b/c w/ 3/4ton axles u cant run 15 rims w/out grinding the caliper which you already know, so they didnt warrenty it.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

is it a 14 bolt? if it is and they did the disc brake swap, then they might have damaged a seal or upset one and its now leaking??

3. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

its the front 10 bolt sorry

4. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Are you sure it's gear lube? The front 10 bolt shouldn't have gear lube out at the hub; it's not full floating like your rear is.

Could it be brake fluid dripping down?

Thomas.

5. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

is gea lube and front 10bolts are fullfloating and its not coming out of the hub its coming out were the axle goes into the axle tub. i think its a busted axle seal

6. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Oh, I see. Then yes, I would agree. It is most likely the axle seal allowing gear lube to travel down the tube.

By full float, I meant there shouldn't be any gear oil in the tubes themselves. you're right though, the axle shafts are full floating in the 10B .... sorry for my confusion /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thomas.