Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle modification for caster

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Suppose I want toget my caster right AND have my pinion angle just right on my front end. Would this be done by cutting off the knuckles and putting them on at the right angle, or by rotating the housing itself relatiuve to the tubes? How big a job is it (in $) if I find a shop to do it for me?

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I think it would be better to have the tubes turned in the center section. The tubes have 2 welds on them If you look at the center section, where the tubes go in, There are 2 holes per side. This is were the factory welds after the tubes are pushed in. A competent welding shop can remove that. Then the tubes will (with force) slide out. Then the tubes can be re aligned and welded back up. The trick is Finding someone that can do it. Look for race car fabricaters that have had experiance narrowing axels. They can usually do it. When i had the 12 bolt narrowed for my race car, they had a jig that lined the tube ends back up before they welded it.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I should take a 12 bolt and a dana 44 I have laying around over to the shop and see what we come up with. Get another Blazer and I could have a 12 bolt, front and rear /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I've been considering building a 14 bolt front axle out of a ford D60.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Well I dont know about reindexing the centersection but..I am getting knuckles put on an axle and the shop we go to said the can do it between $300 and $350, thats with cutting the spindles off the axle and puttin gthe knuckles on. Hope that hepls. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif