Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle opinion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazing86, Aug 6, 2001.

1. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

Ok i screwed up with my front axle. As of right now, i have a 14ff in the rear(8-lug) and my 10 bolt up front(6-lug). I dont want to buy 2 spare tires. Here's where i messed up. I just put on new calibers, rotors, bearings, seals, gears. So basically it is completly rebuilt. From what i have read, to change to 8-lug, i need to buy calibers, hubs, and rotors. So i just wasted money. Anyways, should i change the 10 bolt to 8 lug, or sell it, and rebuild a d60? Thanks..............anyone know where i could get one in rebuildable condition?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You don't need calipers, just backing plates, rotor/hub assemblies, and new wheel bearings to go with them.

EDIT:
    Someone correct me if I missed anything, because it seems like I did, but somehow I can't remember. I know that all 10 bolts are supposed to use the same spindles and wheel bearings, so although I think I missed something, maybe I didn't.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 84_Chevy_K10 on 08/06/01 10:25 PM.</FONT></P>

3. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Most people say it depends on your intended use. I've asked the same question and alot of guys say their 10 bolts are surviving just fine, some say they're scared to venture out of the driveway without full one ton gear. I've got a 44 front and 14 bolt rear and I'm gonna try to get by with a little beefing unless I can score a decent used truck with a 60. To buy the axle anymore seems awful pricey if you go with an aftermarket company that sets them up to your specs. Ican't call myself an expert by any means, but I believe aftermarket gears and axles and u-joints are much stronger than stock and can go along way to beef your existing frontend. TRUCKS! TV on TNN built an 88 Blazer with a 350 horse crate motor an 37's and they used a built 10 bolt from Dynatrac. Personally, I like the idea of beefing what you already have for financial reasons.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

4. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

So it sounds like i should just beef up the front 10 bolt. I do want to lock it, but i heard that was a bad idea to lock a 10 bolt with 36's on it.

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

For the conversion to 8 lug all you need is the hub, backing plate and rotor. You use the same bearings, spindle, calipers and seal (if you can remove it without damageing it). I know a guy here in CA who has an ARB in his 10 bolt and runs 35's. he hasn't destroyed it yet and he does A LOT of rockcrawling with it. That's basically what I'm doing with mine. It all depends on how hard you mash the skinny pedal.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF CHATA?

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah I suppose you could use the same wheel bearings if you wanted to put old bearings in new races.....

I personally don't want my axle u-joints any stronger. If I beef them up then I'll snap the shaft one day. I haven't broken a u-joint yet and I bet my stuff pretty bad, but still, I'm not taking any chances. I don't baby it on the trail by any stretch of the imagination.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You talking about Matt's? Cuz them axles are mine now (well as soon as the checks clear). It'll now be you know a chick in CA with those specs! LOL [​IMG]

C'mon captain break pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

8. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

No I'm not talking about Matt. He damn near destroyed his axles. I'm talking about Kpanza. But I guess I'll still know a CHICK in CA with that set-up too. Let's see how long it lasts you.[​IMG]

And he said his bearings are new in his axle, so putting them on new races won't be too bad.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF CHATA?

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It doesn't matter. Wheel bearings wear into a particular race. If you mix them up, throw them away and put in new ones. That's like putting a new camshaft in your engine with old lifters, just easier to fix when it's wheel bearings.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles