Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle or locking hub leak?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hobbes9112, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Hobbes9112

Hobbes9112 Registered Member

The passenger side front wheel of my 85 Jimmy is throwing massive amounts of grease. It has been doing it since the day I bought it. I am not sure how old the manual hubs are. Tomorrow I am going to try to open this thing up and figure out where the leak is coming from. It looks like it is leaking from the manual hub. I put a picture up at the link below.

Any suggestions or advice? I have never replaced the bearings on a 4wd and I know absolutely nothing about manual hubs. How will I be able to tell if it is the hub and not the axle? If it is the hub, can I repair it, or do I need to buy new ones?

Thanks!

85 GMC Jimmy Wheel

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

mostlikly bad oring.

3. Hobbes9112

Is that pretty easy to replace? When I called the parts store they told me to buy new hubs (of course they couldn't be out to make money) :D .

4. sweetk30

might find a service kit online if you look . or local hardware store or plumbing store for the oring that is close.

5. Hobbes9112

I tried to take the hub apart today and found out why the last owner didn't try to fix it. Four of the six bolts are rounded off inside. I am going to have to try to drill them out.

I haven't been able to find a repair kit anywhere locally and it looks like I might have to buy new hubs. Even if I can find the O-ring, I am not sure where I would find the bolts. I can get a new set of Warn hubs for about $80. Any ideas for places to look for the bolts?

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

You get bolts with the new hubs. If you keep you old hubs, the bolts are in the help section at the auto parts store.

7. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here is a repair kit for Warn hubs. If I recall, I have seen them cheaper in the store.

8. Hobbes9112

Thanks for the info guys! Apparently the guys at the parts counter today were clueless. Any idea if the Warn kit will work for Mile Markers? The bolts look the same.

Now I just have to find a way to get the rounded off bolts out without using a plasma cutter. Have any of you tried to drill them out before?

9. sweetk30

just drill the head off. and the cap will come off and you can use vise qrips to get the stubs out.

10. Hobbes9112

That was what I was planning to do. Just thought I would double check because someone told me those bolts were hardened steel and couldn't be drilled out. By the way, I went back to the parts store and found someone that knew what they were talking about. I managed to find the Mile Marker repair kit for $14. Thanks for all the advice guys. I will let you know how it all turns out.

11. Hobbes9112

Well, I finally had the time to drill out the bolts, but I still can't pry the cap off. It is hanging up in one spot over one the bolt holes. I have read that there could be some retainer rings, but I haven't seen them. I felt around the part that I pryed up with a small screwdriver and didn't feel anything. Are they under the o-ring? I am in the middle of searching the boards, but I thought I might post here to see if I could get any quick replies so I can get back out to the driveway. Thanks!

12. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

With the bolt heads gone the cap should come right off. It may be a little tight, but I have never seen anything besides the bolts hold the cap on. Use a flathead to pry it out a little then pry directly across. It should come off. The locking hub cap is only recessed in there about a 1/2"

13. Hobbes9112

Thanks for the advice. I have tried prying the cap off. I actually busted a screwdriver blade off in the process. Something is definitely holding that cap on in one spot. I know the bolt head is gone, I am afraid to beat it off with a hammer. I don't mind replacing the locking hubs, but I don't want to do any damage to the truck. Any other suggestions?

14. fatdog

fatdog Registered Member

Take the tire and wheel off so you can have some room to work and take a rubber mallet (Ford tool):haha:to it. Give the hub glancing blows (down and towards you) while rotating the rotor so you are hitting around the outer part of the hub. If all the bolt heads are indeed gone, it'll come loose. I had to do the same thing to my factory spicers when I first got my blazer, they were stuck good. I don't think the front end had ever been serviced before :eek1:.