Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle paint, what to use?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevBlazin, Mar 20, 2002.

1. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

What is a good durable paint for axles? Is there any prep work I should do aside from wire brushing and de-greasing them. I know some paint like some types of Rustoleum specificaly says not to use any primer. All I want is a black gloss or semi-gloss paint. Any pointers?

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I used basic semi-gloss black. about 3 coats and I'm calling it good.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I like epxoy-based paints for stuff under my rig. When i do my ff14b and D60, I am gonna use some gloss black epxoy-based "appliance" paint. Various brands are available and its the kinda stuff that doesnt require primer or multiple coats... just spray it on and go. Supposed to be very durable too,

J

4. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just blasted, primed and painted mine! First I sand blasted the parts, then after blowing them off, I put on 2 coats of epoxy primer, waited 1 hour, then put on 2 coats of Urathane !!(enamal works well I just had the Urathane) No hand sanding, I hate to sand so this is easy and fast and durable!!

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I like the engine enamel like VHT. It covers really good, holds up and is cheap and easy to touch up. I did the whole underside of my truck in it.

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I just used some cheap flat black enamel. Prepped the axle well, and put on four to five light coats. Have run it through mud and up, over, and across rocks w/ no ill effects.

7. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i took a grinder to get all the dirt off, but use a wire brush wheel
    then i used regular rustoleum... 2 coats is thick enough but can always go w/ 3

8. mudgrip

mudgrip Registered Member

I use chassis paint. You don't have to reduce it and you don't need to spray primer first. Just pour it into a paint gun and spray away. You can get it at any automotive paint store and its cheap.

9. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replys, I think I'm just gonna go the Rustoleum enamel way.

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Prep work, after you wire wheel it, clean it with acetone. Then after...........after the acetone is completely gone and evaporated, use a blowtorch to heat/dry the metal as you go along and paint. Yep, you will actually see the moisture leave the metal as you heat it. Then the paint will stick reallly well............

11. jimyjamm

jimyjamm Newbie

go to www.porstore.com this stuff is pretty cool it's a rust preventive/destroyer that is brushed on it comes in clear, glossy black,or semi gloss black it cures to a bulletproof armor that is pretty impressive. it's called POR 15

12. Parf

Parf Registered Member

I heard that Spray can Enamel Appliance Paint is the way to go with diffs. Its used for stoves or 'fridges, etc... A HARD drying paint thats easy to clean, and tough, and....cheap. Problem is that it only comes in Black, White, and Cream colors. Black sounds good to me. A can of Easy-Off, and away we go!

13. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> POR fades in sunlight so you'll need their new protected UV coating as well.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

its ok that appliance paint only comes in black... no other color should be visible under your rig anyway! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

J

15. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Here's a photo of what I did:

http://imagep.webphotos.iwon.com//1000016899/1000016899_321200285222AM0.2681238.jpg

I first got after it with some degreaser. After it dried, I sandblasted everything to bare metal (Sears has a portable unit for $60, and you can get one on ebay for $24. Use with your air compressor). Then I sprayed it with Rustoleum primer, then flat black Rustoleum Paint. Look at the picture and decide if you like the results.

Good Luck,

Scott.