Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle parts swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLZN4FN, Dec 30, 2002.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Ok first off I did do a search and it is not working. Im buying a 90 K5 with a 10 bolt ft axle. And I have a 10 bolt 8 lug laying in the grage. first question is the brake calipers the same and is the tie rod the same for 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton???
    Second question is if I put 15 inch wheels on the 3/4 ton 10 bolt will I need to gring down the calipers to fit the wheel?? This axle will only be in the K5 till I come up with the money to get a D60.
    If you have any other info on this please let me know and Thanks for all your help. I know this has been asked a million time before.

Thanks,
    Bo
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

Let me get this straight you've bought a '90 K5 and your looking at getting a '70. I'm assuming you went to look at the one in the Truck trader. How did it look? Anyway, everything I've heard, the only difference with the 3/4 10 bolt and the 1/2 10 bolt are the outers. Your tie rod should be a direct swap. I believe the brakes should be similar to a D60 and would require some grinding but I'm not 100% sure. Just curious, what did you pay for your '90 and what kind of shape is it in? This might help me to price mine appropriately.

3. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Ok I went and looked at the 70 Alittle rough for me He added fuel injecton from a 88 burb the more I looked at it it wasent for me. So I found a 90 K5 in great shape in AZ I sent my Dad to do the deal for me It has a 4in lift w/ 35inch tires for
    $4,400 I think I got a good deal. I just need to stay with the 2nd gen blazer style cause I have the ORD shackle flip zero rate's plus a corp 14 with detroit locker plus a lot of other parts. Just trying to make due with what I have till my wife gets another job joy of unemployment.

Bo

4. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

That does sound like a good deal. I had thought about looking at the '70 myself but I'm going in too many directions right now. So if you had $7k to spend, that means you've got a pretty good chunk of change to start the mods. Should be fun. There was a '85 Dodge W350 4x4 in the paper for $900. Buddy called and the lady said it didn't have a D60 but somebody should probably go take a look anyway! If you know anyone looking for another '90, let me know.

5. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

If for some strange reason this deal falls through what is the specs on your K5 that your selling?? this has been a pain in the ass I wish I had never sold my last k5 But on there hand its good my father lives in AZ.
    We should hook up and swap building tricks.

Later,
    Bo

6. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

Just in case, stock '90 Jimmy, TBI 350, TH700R4, NV241, 10 bolt front and rear. Good solid truck with no rust. Old Aurora Fire Dept. vehicle with meticulous maintenance records. Runs and drives excellent. Although you'd swap out the diffs, just rebuilt the rear end and works great. It's red with grey interior. When it goes up for sale, I'd like to get $6k but if you were swapping out axles anyway, could probably work out a cheaper price and I'd keep my high dollar 10 bolt rear and front. Maybe somewhere in the neighborhood of $5400 o.b.o.. I was going to build a crawler out of my '71 K5 but I need to hold off until I get my '68 done which is now on the fast track. I have some good friends who rock crawl and are fabricating maniacs. I could probably get you some good info. or help. Keep me up to date on how that AZ deal goes. I know all about regrets, I sold my last '72 K5 which was restored with 4" and 33's. I've been kicking myself eversince! Got to do something when your broke and my wife sure as hell doesn't have anything of value!

7. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

8. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to get my new rims and tires.
    Has anyone trimmed the calipers on a 10 bolt to fit 15 inch wheels and is there meterial left over on the calipers to be safe??????

9. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

You don't have to grind your capilers on a 10bolt to fit 15" rims on them. That is what they come with from the factory. You might be thinking of the D60 frontend, which you do have to grind the capilers to fit 15" rims. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I forgoet to say the 10 bolt is a 3/4 8 lg
    so can I still have 15 inch wheels????
    Bo

11. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Just read your first post--shouldn've done that first /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

To be honest I don't know if they will fit without grinding on a 8-lug 10 bolt /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifI'm sure someone on here does though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifor try searching if you haven't already /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Depends on wheels makes, and backspacing, some require minimal grinding and some nothing.
    There is enough meat on the D60 for a lot of grinding so yes there is more than enough on the 10 bolt.
    I guess the only way you will have to grind too much is with more than 4.5" backspacing.
    I think you can only fit steel wheels, aluminum would be smaller ID.

13. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all your help guys.
    I'm going to go with the 15 inch rims and do a little
    grinding on the calipers. ON the plus side I will have
    a better selection of tires and sizes and will know how to fit the rims on a D60 when I get one.
    Thanks agine,
    Bo

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif