Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle price ??'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KING K5, Dec 27, 2000.

1. KING K5

KING K5 1/2 ton status

Axle price ??\'s

I found a 10bolt front w/4.56's and a 12bolt rear with 4.56's and a locker for $400 for BOTH! the only problem is the 12 bolt is missing both drums and the 10bolt has a broken ear on one of the knuckles and is missing the hubs. the guy won't budge from $400 and I was wondering if this is still a good deal or not? I currently have a 10/12 bolt combo with 3.07's and want to go to 4.56's, can I just swap 12bolt drums and the 10 bolt hubs and knuckle? If so my main question is...is this still a good deal, a 10bolt with 4.56's, a broken knuckle and no hubs AND a 12 bolt with 4.56's, locker and NO drums for a total of $400?? Thanks in advance for your advice!!

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Re: Axle price ??\'s

If you aren't running 35" tires, you don't need those gears. If you have differen't size, then you need different gears. You also didn't say what kind of locker it has in it. Becareful. Some people consider a Limited Slip a "Locker". But its not. There is a BIG difference. The gears would be better than what you have though. Thats one thing. The parts would work from your axle if you went that way. One thing to consider, why exactly was the ear broken off? Sounds like he may have abused it before removing the parts.

Just my .02

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</A>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'd be concerned that the front axle housing is bent. I've beat the living $h!t out of some of my Blazers in the past. You know, Dukes of Hazzard kind of stuff. [​IMG] Even with that abuse I never managed to break a steering knuckle!

You could take the guts out of his front end and swap them into yours. Find out what kind of "lockers" are in the axles. The gears and the lockers alone could be worth more than the $400. Also, PULL THE COVERS off of BOTH axles and have a peek inside. If there are metal shavings, chipped teeth or anything that looks out of place, I'd pass.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

4. KING K5

KING K5 1/2 ton status

I do have 35's so the gearing would definitely be better. The guy I've been talking to about these axles is actually a friend of the guy who has them, the guy that has them has a scrap yard and that's how he obtained the axles and why parts are missing, he says that the axles are out of a PG&E truck and believes the locker is a Detroit but not for sure. The guy I'm dealing with is just passing info on to me and said he'll grab the axles from his friend and bring them to his place for me to look at them and see them himself and then I should be able to find out more about what kind of condition they're in. Is there a way to tell what kind of LOCKER or LIMITED SLIP is in the axle by pulling the cover? Any distinquishing characteristics to certain brands etc.?? Thanks for the help!!
    Jeff

5. Danivek

Danivek Registered Member

Chevk out hte new fourwheeler. It has all the info on lockers and limited slips. also has pictures of a dew of the most popular