Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle prices 14 bolt and 10 bolt front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 70jimmy, Feb 14, 2004.

1. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I have a chance to buy some axles just need some opinions on whether they are worth the cash. This is what I know about them.

14 bolt rear, 4.10 gears, disk brakes, detroit locker, diff cover with some protective bars across it. Upgraded axle shafts. Put together in the last year. Unknown what brand shafts, or gears. Brakes were pieced together at auto parts store.

10 bolt front, 4.10 gears, disk brakes, rock ram, hydro assist, upgraded axle shafts, front spider gears are welded (Spooled), also put together in last year.

Both axles complete rotor to rotor. also includes 4 rims of unknown type.

Price $2000.00

I will change from the welded front to another type of locker so its a little more street friendly. All is in good condition, no rust. I will look at it better tomorrow. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

It will go under my 70 Jimmy 350 with 350 turbo 205 transfer with twin stick, hacked fenders. Planning on running about 38 inch tires. Used 50 percent on road.

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Seems a little pricey. But the Hydro assist is that like rock ram assist? Seems to me you could do better. 14BFF for around $100+ around $400 for disc conversion, 10 bolt /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif!
    Bill

3. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

Seems real pricey, The 14 bolt you should be able to get for 500 or less. Sounds like the 10 bolt is built, but it's still a 10 bolt, if yer gonna go with the 14, go with somethin heavier in the front. I traded my 10 bolts, front and rear, for a corp 14. Check ebay, they always have some selling.

4. 70jimmy

The front 10 bold has a rock ram, and hydro assist from what little I know you tap into the Steering box and hook up lines to it and it assists you in steering using hydraulics. Can you tell I am not that familiar with it. I am sure someone will set me straight. Thanks for the replies.

5. monsterjim

That hydro steering is the way to go, but like I said it is a 10 bolt, if ya go off road you are going to break front axles with that. Get a dana 44 or 60, preferably a 60 if ya want it to stand up. See if you can just buy the 14, cause those are sweet, I forgot it had a locker so the price could be a little higher just for it. A detroit locker if ya ordered it new would be about 550.00. What are your plans for the thing.

6. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That hydro steering is the way to go, but like I said it is a 10 bolt, if ya go off road you are going to break front axles with that. Get a dana 44 or 60, preferably a 60 if ya want it to stand up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man everywhere I go everyone seems to think that 10bolts are SO weak and that d44s are tons stronger. I don't get it...the 44 has a .03" larger diameter shaft and that's IT! .03" REALLY doesn't make much of a difference. Oh well. Just to give you a reference point, I got a 14bff and a 10bolt with 4.10s, stainless steel brakeline extensions, and Rancho shocks all around (woohoo /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) for $320. However I've been told that that's a good deal, and I happen to agree. From my understanding, a disc conversion on a 14b is about $150, so add that on to the price. A detroit? My 14bff isn't locked yet, but when I do get around to locking it, I'll be welding it, I hear that's much more dependable/predictable than a detroit, however it is all a matter of preference. As far as upgraded shafts go they aren't really important on a 14b... I have NEVER actually heard of some one busting a shaft in a 14bff and even if you did theorhetically, you would still be able to drive on it (ff). And same thing goes for the diff; you'd have to smash that thing pretty had to do any real damage. Is the diff shaved at all? If it is shaved up to the ring gear, and done nicely, you may want to add a couple of bucks for extra clearance.

As monsterjim said, you may want to upgrade to a 60 if your gonna buy a 10b with all that crap on it. What size tires are you going to run? If they are pretty big (38s or up) the hydro assist may be purposeful, other wise I'd say you're fine (I'm running 36s on mine). I hear that even with upgraded shafts, when a 10bolt is locked, the shafts still frequently break.

Just my $.02

7. monsterjim

Just sayin if ya had to choose between a 10 bolt and 44, the 44 is one step up from the 10 bolt. I got a 3/4 ton 10 bolt in the front and always break axles, only thing saving me is the locker, so I still got 3 wheels turning to get me out of a mess. Sounds like a little much for those 2 axles though don't it?

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif That's way high in my honest opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

9. monsterjim

Black hills eh? Im from Gillette Wy, originally, used to spend a lot of time in Spearfish and Deadwood, where ya at and what ya doing there?

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Way too much! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif That's way high in my honest opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I rarely agree with Z3PR, but that is outragious ($2k is about 3 times what I'd pay for that setup.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Black hills eh? Im from Gillette Wy, originally, used to spend a lot of time in Spearfish and Deadwood, where ya at and what ya doing there?

[/ QUOTE ]I'm just west of Rapid City. Moved up here from Omaha, Ne. a few years ago to get away from everybody I knew involved with Meth. It was the only way I could get off the crap. Have some family up here. Now adays I turn wrenchs for myself. I'm not getting rich from it, but it does pay the bills. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. monsterjim

Cool, hope all goes well, nice country up there, Those coal mines in wyoming are alway hiring, and the pay is awesome. I got a couple connections if you want to put a resume in. Just a thought. Take care.

14. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Keep looking for a better deal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I found a 14b w/ detroit and a d60 w/ posi 4.56 ghetto 8 lug wheels and tires for less than that, and they are low mile military axles /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif.

Anyway like the others said, I would probably see if you could get the rear off him or get him to lower his price /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

or just keep looking for your deal /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Naw, I'm happy with what I'm doing. But thanks for the offer anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You can find M1008 axles for cheaper than that price. And they will have 4.56 gears and DL in the rear. This combo of axles is the D60 front.

Another plus to getting the M1008 axles is the rearend will bolt right into your '70 without relocating the spring perches. If you had a '73 on up, the perches need to be moved. All you need to move on the M axle is the shock mounts.

Pass on the 3/4 ton stuff and get some M1008 stuff for cheaper. They will last longer than the stuff you are asking about. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. tjk5

tjk5 Newbie

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hijack! Gillette, WY here, too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hijack! Gillette, WY here, too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Another person fairly close. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Maybe this summer we'll have a mini bash in the hills. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

19. 70jimmy

Found out a little more, Warn shafts, inner and outer and ujoints new, braided steel lines on front. this price will include installation and moving perches and shock mounts where necessary...

I am still debating. I looked in 4 wheel and off road and quickly came up with $2500.00 in making a like setup.

Time for me to look around a little I think. I just don't want to mess much with shipping axles. The price ussually kills the deal. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Just went to Boyce equipment website and I definately can't afford that. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

20. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If you want, I can try to find an M1008 for you to buy the axles from me if you were interested. I would probably sell the matching pair of D60 and 14FF for around $1500-ish.

I noticed you are in western CO. If this sounds like something you would be interested in doing, I would only require you to drive to my place to pick up the axles since I will have to have the M transported to my place for dismantling.

Let me know what you think. If you go with the 1 ton axles, thats a step forward rather than going with the 3/4 tons you are looking at now. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif