Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle pull advice needed (update-he aint got the balls)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ducttape114, Oct 28, 2003.

1. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

the head of the auto department at my school is building a "stump puller". he wants to pull against me. normaly i would say no but this guy is a cocky a$$hole and would really enjoy puting him in his place. hes got a late 80s F-150. 351/some auto tranny/borg warner POS Tcase/ 5.36s in stock axles/35" ATs. ive got 6.5l diesel/th350/doubler/ 14ff detroit, 3/4 ton 10bolt open/37 MTRs. i really dont think i should have any problames as long as he agrees to let me carry some extra weight. if not his lard ass ford is gonna pull me all over the place. also, he ussually builds drag cars so i dont think he has any consept of throttle control. the thing am really wondering is should i run smaller tires? if i keep the 37s i can air down way low(bead locks) but running a smaller tire would means lower gears. what do ya think? any advice?

<font color="red"> after seeing my truck and looking at the drive train he deciced that he didnt want to go. pussy. he did however say that he would still go if he was aloud to use his half million doller front end loader. he said it with his cocky bastered attitude to, like he was gonna prove somthing by making me not pull against his 10 ton tractor. what ever. i still feel pretty good /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font>

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Re: axle pull advice needed

What gears do you have? I would air down and put it in double low, and drag the ford around.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Never mind about the gears, i see your running 4.10's.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

If you have a doubler and a diesel, you should have no problem. A diesel itself makes a ton of low end torque. And even if that isnt enough, that doubler will spank him. I agree with what was said before, put it in double low and pull him across the country. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

See if he cares where you attach the cable.....

The higher on your truck you can mount it the better. My theory is that as you start pulling against each other, the forces will be pulling DOWN as well as straight back. Maybe you can get yourself a little extra tire traction this way???

Seems like these contests are all about traction and gearing......low gearing is good, but if he YANKS ya' before your tires can really dig in well, it won't matter what your crawl ratio is......

Oh, fill your tires with water too (more sneaky ideas!) that should get the weight down low.... wear like 3 or 4 sweatshirts too, and wear two pairs of socks. Have a big breakfast.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Use the doubler, once you have him rolling backward's, nail it, he'll be sending up a smoke show anyhow, then drag him around on a tour of the neighborhood. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

just make sure you have it hooked up higher on yours then his... you should be able to drag him and you really think he is heavyer then you? how many gallon tank do you have? make sure you fill up before you pull (add's a good amount of weight) I would stay with the 37's and air down a little if you have really good brakes and the guy is cocky sometime you can hold your brakes and when he starts to spin then go... so hes spinning and your pulling /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Re: axle pull advice needed

Have a full tank of gas and have a few 'joy riders' in the back to help with the weight issue. Don't spin your tires, you'll lose traction. But do wait until he starts spinning and bouncing, then you'll have the advantage.

9. ducttape114

ok, so im gonna fill the tires with water, fill my tank up with diesel, with my tool box up with lead, and fill my truck up with friends. the highest thing i could attach to would be the main hoop of my roll cage at the top of the cab. but if i started to get sideways that might flip me over. maybe i should build a tower like the wake boarding boats use /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Weight and traction is one thing, but I hope your driveshafts, u-joints, and front 10bolt can take the abuse. Mine didn't, snapped my rear stock shaft in 2 last time I pulled.

11. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

When I was a kid I use to do this with my 67 chevy 2wd truck most of the time who ever started to spin thier tires first lost. Mabe you will be luck if he is a drag racer and he will be hevy on the skiny pedal from the start. I wouldnt have any more poeple in the truck then he does dont want him to have an excuse for lossing.

12. Re: axle pull advice needed

[ QUOTE ]
    I wouldnt have any more poeple in the truck then he does dont want him to have an excuse for lossing.

[/ QUOTE ]

"I even had all these people in my truck and STILL had enough power to out-pull you!" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

it's ALL about weight.

[​IMG]

yeah, the PSD won. the dodge has a 525 chevy with 800horses. it has boggers on sand. the PSD is stock, with stock tires and gears. so watch out.

YES, i HATE that picture.

14. rjfguitar

thats a crazy truck. I have seen it in fourwheeler. oh and that ford looks like it has a lift and 33's. I still don't believe the ford won because the dodge is heavier with rockwells, huge tires, big block,huge NP200 cast iron transfer case,etc.

15. Re: axle pull advice needed

Are either of the trucks lifted with blocks? They'll cause wheel hop.

16. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    thats a crazy truck. I have seen it in fourwheeler. oh and that ford looks like it has a lift and 33's. I still don't believe the ford won because the dodge is heavier with rockwells, huge tires, big block,huge NP200 cast iron transfer case,etc.

[/ QUOTE ]That would totally suck to build a truck like that and get beat by a P.O.S FURD

17. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, I think you can take him but what out, you don't want to break stuff. That always sucks! I think your 14b if up to the abuse but the front 10b might not like it. At least its open!

18. ducttape114

[ QUOTE ]
    Are either of the trucks lifted with blocks? They'll cause wheel hop.

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!!!! HIS IS!!! i forgot about that. its got about 4" blocks in there. i cant tell to many details cuz i only get to check it out for a few seconds at a time. the front ten bolt concerns me to. but i have extra shafts, so hopefully they go first.

as for drive shafts i have a high angle rear 1350s all the way thru. the front is box tube with crappy half ton joints(1310 i think?)

now how do you suggest i get water in to and out of the tires?

19. rjfguitar

forget the water in the tires thing, too much hassle for what you would gain. Your going to pull a furd f150, not big foot. I bet you can beat him with the condition or weight your truck has right now as I type. Drop a little air, stick it in low low and wait for him to start hopping and romp on it. Drag him around for a few seconds while he keeps his foot in it or throws it in park and destroys something or actually has the sense to throw it in neutral once he knows its over for him.Walla you win. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. rjfguitar

Hey mudjunkie, how much power are you making with that 540? I wouldn't mind pulling with you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Maybe BB04'