Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Q (Alloy shafts)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyCaGal, Jul 21, 2001.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ok.... I'm trying to scrape up the cash to buy the axles Matt (babyblue) has up for sale.... it's a front 10b and rear 14b sf.... both have 4.10 gears, detriot in the rear w/ disc brakes, air locker up front, new ball and u joints... just a good set up... I am wanting to put some alloy shafts in the axle up front (the 10b) for added strength... I'm not planning on being insane and hitting the Rubicon and flying through it with these axles. But some extra strength would be nice... are these shafts worth it? Do they really even add much, or am I better off buying a few cheaper shafts and just replacing them when they break? Thanks! [​IMG]

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I think that question would be best left for Stephen to answer. He sells them thru his shop. Also, Warn has them too.

I can't tell you anything about these shafts because I have never tried them. But they do sound like a good and wise investment to upgrade the front axles.

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I think they are quite a bit stronger from what Ive heard.Ive also heard that if you break a front u joint the ears where the joint goes doesnt get deformed and ruin the axle.The front u joint I busted on the mini Rubicon ruined both the inner and outer axle so I cant just put in a new joint.I think I gonna buy an alloy axle to replace the one I broke so I can give back the one that Steve let me use.

"I AM THE HILIFT KING"<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Where did he get disc brakes for a 14 SF? Is it 6 lug?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Yes it is 6 lug. He said it was out of a Z-71 but I don't think it came with the rear disc.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

6. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

I have a chrome molly inner longshaft in my Dana 44. I broke the u-joint and the outher stub ears. The inner shaft was not even marked. It was well worth it. I have been through many of the replacement stock shafts.

73 3/4 ton Chevy. 383 stroker, TH350, NP 205, 14bolt FF(Detroit), Dana 44(limited Slip), 6in. lift, 36x 14.5 super swampers

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Does it have e-brakes on the disks? That seems to be a spendy addition....

Dave

If You Drink Don't Park, Accidents Cause People.

91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

TSM sells disc brakes for the 14SF rears, but you would have to get them in the 88 and newer kits.

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah, the fact that it's 6 lug explains it. Many people make a disc conversion for the 6 lug axles but not for the 8 lug semi floaters.

20% of Z71 Extended cabs have 14 bolt SFs. LD 3/4 tons have the 6 lug version as well. So do most HD 3/4 tons of the 88-98 bodystyle. New HDs use a bigger, different rearend.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles