Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by buffcc1, Jan 6, 2006.

1. buffcc1

buffcc1 Registered Member

I have decided to obtain a gm 14 bolt from a junk yard for 200. The guy says he has like 10 of them. What should i inspect to make sure i am getting a good product(in good working order). Also can someone suggest a good front end for a decent price. Thanks

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Pull the diff cover and inspect for chips, excessive rust etc. Being able to turn the drums is a bonus, but don't be too worries if that doesn't happen, they rust up very quickly, at least here in MI, mabey down there's a different story.

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Like what wuz already mentioned. Also when pulling the cover check if its open or has a limited slip. I would stay away from crappy GM "posi" and find an open carrier so later you can drop in a locker. 14 bolts are EASY to throw a locker in. And they are usually cheaper.

4. buffcc1

buffcc1 Registered Member

What about an axle for the front end?

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What do you plan on doing with the truck?? If just keeping it simple you could get a Dana 44 or a 10 bolt. Either are pretty common, and will hold up to moderate power and sneaker size. Go bigger either way and stuff will start breaking. If you want more, then you will need a Dana 60. Be prepared to spend some money here. I've found close to 10 60s in all, and don't think I spent over a grand buying all of them. But if you go to a yard, or a seller that knows what they have, you could pay a grand for one axle. I tend to build everything overkill. I have a 454 in my truck, 36s, and 60 front and 14ff rear. I could very easiely get away with 1/2 tons stuff. I haven't done anything hard yet to warrant 1 tons, but when I do I know I won't break anything.

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Save your $$$ and search junkyards n such for a Dana 60. A Dana 44HD will have the same lug pattern but you want a 60!! You will evenually break a 10 bolt, but since its different bolt pattern dont bother. Pretty much same for a Danna 44, tho its somewhat stronger than GM 10 bolts.

7. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

what junk yard do you go to? The one I go to has a bunch of blazers and GM stuff

8. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

When your looking for the 14 bolt, be carefull what year you get. If you ever plan on doing discs, you want an early design 14 bolt. You can tell the early from late model designs by looking at the pumkin. Early is smoothed and late model has a ribbed pumpkin. You can get a late model "ribbed" 14b that will take discs if it came off a 2500 3/4 and has the "press on" style hubs.

Also, late model 14 bolts will not bolt up to the K5's. If you get one of those you will have to cut/grind the spring and shock plates. A PAIN IN THE A$$!

Here's mine fresh from the yard. I pulled a 1998 3/4 ton. I went with this because it just happened to be an oped diff, it had real low miles, and it was cheaper than the other already pulled 14 bolts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Al