Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by snowcamo93, Mar 13, 2007.

1. snowcamo93

snowcamo93 Registered Member

i have 2 rear ends, one out of a 94 z71, and one out of a 2003 z71, both with lockers and 4:56 gears, and are 10 bolt. i would like to use them in my 84 k-5 i am building. one for the rear and the locker and the gears out of the other for the front. my questin is can i make this work? i just am doing this build on a budget and i just have these rear ends lying in my shop. the k-5 has the origonal axles under it now. can i just get new akle shafts for the front and swap out the ring, pinnion, and locker? i dont know, i am just looking for a little advice. and if it can be done

thanks,
    snowcamo93

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you have to do it I would use the diff from the 03 in the rear. I can't remember if they still have disc's by then, but thats a nice feature. then your parking brakes are already set up. as for the front I don't know if your gears and carrier from the 94 will work in the 84. 10 bolts remained the same until 99 so it should swap as long as the axle spline count is the same.

3. snowcamo93

i was wanting to use the one out of the 03 because of the disc brakes, but i just would hate to go out and buy a set of gears ond a locker when, and or if mthe one i have will work,
    thanks
    snowcamo93

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I just dont really like the idea of wheeling with a 4.56 locked 10 bolt. I sense bad things happening in your future. Ive blown out a 12 bolt with 35's. Especially if you put it in fornt. I pretty much split the ring gear in half, put a fist size hole in cover, and put a finger sized hole in the housing. Im not sure if the 03 will bolt up. May be different width or mounting points may need to be moved. I would measure overall widths and leaf spring mounting points first to make sure they are the same as yours.

5. snowcamo93

the axles came out of a z71 i owned with 38's and i wheeled hard with a locked front and rear. i was going to look into 3/4 ton axles but i just wanted to use what i already had, to save money. i am not usng the blazer for rock crawling or any extreme offroading, just an ocasonal creek or ricefied. as for the bolt up i know i need to move the brackets, thats no big deal. i have the rear figured out it is the front i am un informed about, but thanks

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

The gears/locker/carrier should go in the front. At least with the 94 rig. Iwas gonna do the opposite once the front 10 bolt gearset into a rear 10 bolt but ended up getting a k20. My cousin had a 91 Z71 he wheeled the snot out of and blew up the rear with 36" swampers; and a control arm bolt, and a tie rod, and 2 trannies, etc.

7. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

The gears/carrier from the 94 rear will not work in your front axle b/c of the different spline count (30 for the rear of the 94 and the front is only 28 spline).

8. 425 Xpedition

425 Xpedition 1/2 ton status

I have some 30 spline front axle shafts for cheap.

9. snowcamo93

if i understand this right, i an use the gears and carrier from the 94 rear end in the front axle of my balzer if i get 30 spline axles? and if that is the case i will be very intrested in those 30 spline axles you have
    i will look forward to a reply
    thanks
    snowcamo93