Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MJF, Jul 25, 2002.

1. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

This may be a stupid question for most of you, but I've never had a diff apart before.
    Is there a difference between the ring & pinion on a 3/4 ton & 1/2 ton? Are they interchangeable?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you're speaking of the front 10 bolts and D44s, then yes, they are the same diff and shafts, differences are only from the knuckles out. </font color>

3. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I have a six lug d44 under my half ton &amp; an 8 lug d44 under my 3/4 ton. I was wondering if the ring &amp; pinion are interchangeable on the two. Like I said it is probably a stupid question that I could figure out on my own if I pulled them apart, but I'm not ready to pull them apart yet.

If the gear ratio is the same, I want to pull the ring &amp; pinion out of the 1/2 ton &amp; put it in the 3/4 ton that has busted teeth. This should work right?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yes, the R&amp;P are interchangable so long as they are on the same series carrier. You could just swap the carrier along with the R&amp;P though and everything would swap right over. </font color>

5. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

That sounds good. I wish I knew what a carrier was though /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

I'm just kidding. Most of this stuf I'm seeing for the first time &amp; I'm learning as I go. Thanks for the info.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The carrier is the thingy that the ring gear bolts to. </font color>

7. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Did 3/4 tons come with 44's or 60's standard?

I looked at the diff &amp; saw 44-?? on it the same as on the axle under my 79 &amp; 70 1/2 tons. Does that mean it's a 44? According to the descriptions of 60 &amp; 44, they are similar in apperance except size of carrier or something like that.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> 3/4 tons came with the 44s. If you look on my Webshots page there are a bunch of pics of my D60 that should show all of the primary identifying marks on the D60. They do look similar, easiest way to tell the difference is 3 ways - D44 uses all ubolts to hold the axle to the springs, D60 uses bolts threaded into the housing on the inboard side of the passenger side spring; D60 has kingpins, D44 has balljoints; and then the number cast into the housing below and to the right of the diff cover, as you already mentioned. </font color>