Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AXLE QUESTION

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandracer0004, Sep 22, 2003.

1. sandracer0004

sandracer0004 1/2 ton status

Does any body know if the axles in a d44, out of chevy, and a 10 bolt are the same? i mean the inner axle and ujoint on the front of the gm trucks?
    i have an 89 burb, and was wondering if the dana, and 10 bolt are same, i have a d44 in my burb, and figured i could keep some extra parts if they are swapable.

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

44's, and 10 bolt's have different spline count's.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's not entirely true. There are 30 spline 10 bolts and 28 spline 10 bolts. All Chevy D44s are 30 spline I believe.

Even though the u joints are the same size, unfortunately, the inner shafts are different lengths, so D44 shafts won't work in a 30 spline 10 bolt or vise versa.

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, my oop's, 28's and 30's in later year's. for the 10 bolt's. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

the 30 spliners are very similar...its the angle of the spline cut on the axles that differs....the length is close enough to work...petersons mag had an article on this a few years back...they did it on the blue blazer with the diesel in it...put 44 shafts in the 10 bolt...but it pretty much ruins the spiders ........

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Here is an exerpt from thatK30guy's ever and often posted D44 bible.

". D44 and 10B axle shafts are not interchangable. The D44 shafts measure: right - 36.13"
    left - 18.31"
    10B shafts measure: right - 35.46"
    left - 19.15" "

The stubs are interchangeable....the inners are not. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Thanks Ben! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

No prob....I think lately I post that more than you! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Excellent info....thank you for putting it all together. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yep...that's why i said the inner shafts are different lengths. Didn't see any need to post the numbers, but thanks anyway.

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Nice post edit. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

You added the second paragraph. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Nice try Tim. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Keep the knuckles out, this will help as spare parts....

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Nice post edit. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

You added the second paragraph. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Nice try Tim. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, no I didn't. I might have gone back and edited right away, which I do at times, but I would note the fact that I'd edited the post to affect the content if I had done so after the fact.

EDIT:

If you wanted to be a total ass, you could have pointed out that D44s come with two different sized axle u joints. So, therefore, my statement that both a D44 and 10 bolt front have the same size u joint is only partially true. Some do, but some don't. I believe the older ones use a 260x u joint, and I can't remember if the year cutoff is in the 73 neighborhood or if it runs as late as 75, partially because although I've helped my friends work on their D44s, I've never owned one myself.

13. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I call BS!

Tim, you are obviously trying to save face. I caught you and you can't handle it. You did not go back and add the 2nd paragraph of your first post until after Wes and I had and posted a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Once again, nice try. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can call bs all you want, but that'd be really stupid and I dont understand why you'd make such a statement. Oh well, be a big baby, I'll simply leave the edit comment at the bottom if I edit a post, just for you.

Edit:

I wasn't claiming to be the source of the info anyway. The only reason I remembered that was from Wes's post from years ago. I was simply stating well known fact on this board. You simply did it straight from his post. More power to you...I wish I'd thought of finding the post and quoting it as it's often quoted on this board, but I didn't.

15. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

So what is it like to have no integrity?

16. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

so whats it like to fight like a girl?
    no, seriously, you two are whining at each other, albeit one more than the other, like a couple of 12 year old girls..

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Whatever, I'm done on this issue. It's a well known fact on this board what was posted anyway. It's not some miracle that anyone came up with the answer to this question, regardless to who was first. It really doesn't matter.

I'm not even going to respond to the integrity comment as that's a personal attack that has no place on these boards. That's not even poking fun. That is simply trolling for a response that you're not going to get.

18. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    That's not even poking fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ha, who says you can't have fun "poking" things! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Where would we be without being able to poke something once in a while? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

We would be horny! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I try to poke once a week and I only see my GF on the weekends /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif