Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Questions? ANYONE!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, Apr 16, 2002.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I've come across a matched set of 1/2 ton axles with 4:11s in them. (My burb has 3:42s & I can't afford new wheels & tires also.) The front needs the outer seals & bearings replaced. I can get them for $250. Is this worth it? Should I do both axles while they are out? Any idea what it would cost to replace all outer bearings & seals? How hard is this? I've never done.

Also, the same guy who can get me these can is putting together a K5 to sell. I have not seen, but he has said the tub is a 80 & in good shape. The front clip is from a 73 & in good shape. It has a 3 1/2 body lift on it with all the necessary modifications. It has a 350 that needs some work. He is dropping in a 327 that runs & will throw in the 350. He is going to ask $2000 for it once running. Is this a good deal? I've always wanted a K5. He said he would trade me for my 88 Burb, but my Burb is worth more than that. I was thinking if I kept my 4" superlift & my 33's, that might make it acceptable?

ALL COMMENTS WELCOMED!!!!! Thanks in advance!!!

Mark
    "Uneducated in Co Springs"

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I went to look at the K5. It's got a few touches of surfaces rust, but better than most I've seen for sale. Anyway, it has a 78 front clip & a 81 tub. It has a 3 1/2 body lift with 32's also. The inside just needs a little cleaning out, but is complete. He will lift it 6 inches & put 35/36/38s on it, along with putting 3/4 ton axles. (He has all necessary stuff.) Is this a good swap straight across for my Burb?

Mark
    "Desperately Seeking Advice"

3. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Do you have 3/4 or 1/2 ton axles on your Suburban currently? If you have 3/4 ton axles now, don't downgrade to 1/2 ton.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

As a K/5 owner, you can probley gess my answer. As far as resale go's, Blazers hold thier value better then the Burb's. At least thats what I've been told. You would be going into an older vichile, but in the end, the choice is yours. Witch one do you like better ????

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

putting together a K5 to sell

<hr></blockquote>
    This statement alone would keep me from buying it. When someone is "putting together" something that they plan too sell, not to much attention to detail is applied. I would say KEEP THE BURB!! Your going from an 88 that I'm assuming is in good condition to a 78/81/??? that is being "put together". If you want a K5, keep your eyes open for a newer one that hasn't been pieced together and is pretty much stock or close to it and BUILD it yourself.

I hope I haven't come across as being rude. I'm just letting you know what I think.

And about your axles, I'm assuming that your Burb is currently a 1/2 since you said that you don't want to buy new tires and wheels (and I'm pretty sure that 3/4 tons weren't 6 lug). IF they are in good condition, other than the bearings and seals, then i would say yeah that's a good deal. Changing the outer bearings and seals is no big deal. Now if you have never opened a diff before and don't know what to look for as far as wear on the ring gears and inner bearings, then I would say have someone local check them for you. If the guy is an honest person then he should let you open up the cover and check it out before you buy it. You don't want to get these axles under your rig and then have to COMPLETELY rebuild them a few months down the road.

Just my .02/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The axles sound like a good deal, just a 12 bolt rear around here can be up to $500. You can also pick up a decent mid '80's Blazer around here for $2000. I'd say pick up the axles, Get a Blazer that is already together, put the axles under it and switch over your lift and tires. You wll end up with a decent wheeler and mabey somthing to tow it with. Of course its also a ton of work. But I dont think I would trade for something that has been pieced together. Just my .02.