Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle questions.. need verification.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newboy89, Aug 1, 2002.

1. newboy89

newboy89 Registered Member

ok, i just got back looking at a truck.it's an 85 k20 with a complete 1 ton setup underneath it. sorry no pictures, couldnt get a digital camera in time. i looked under there and the rear axle looks like a 12 inch rockwell...the tag on the glove box door said that it had 4.10's and locking rears. i dont know what the front axle is, there was a plow setup and it was parked more or less on a bush so i couldnt get a good look. its got a 208 case and a turbo 400 tranny. 350SB.. pretty standard stuff as far as that goes.
    so the question is what is up with the axles. did they put a rockwell under there or am i mistaking it for an eaton? and what would the front axle be? thanks alot for the help.

2. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

the k20 mostlikely came from gm with a 14 bolt sf and an 8 lug 10 bolt front.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

ok
    the axles have been swapped out for an unknown pair
    yet you still look to the door sticker to determine the possible ratios?
    whats a 12" rockwell? what 1ton did it come out of?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm with Marc...14 SF rear and an 8 lug 10 bolt front most likely.

Rene

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you might be talking about an Eaton rear - big round cover with 10 bolts, and a drop out center section. The Eaton rear was used pre-'73, and there was never a one ton 4X4 in those years, so if it is a matched pair of axles, the front will be a Dana 44. I would say that there is a very slim chance that you are going to find a Dana 60 under the front of that truck, but stranger things have happened.