Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle questions, please read and answer if you can

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 8 lug 10B and a D60 rear with 4.10's, mainly to change my gears ratio in the K5 from 3.08's. My question are:

1. what years did GM run a D60 rear axles in there trucks?

2. which is stronger a D60 or a 14B? I have a line on a 14B locally too, just trying to decide which rear I am going to run.

3. Which rear would you run if you were in my shoes?

4. Will a 14B disc conversion backing plate fit a D60 rear and if not who carries a D60 disc conversion?

5. Is there anyway to tell what my D60 came out of?

6. Is the D60 a direct fit under a K5 or am I going to have to move the spring perches?

Thanks for the help.

Krennen /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I'll take a stab at these:

1. I know they were used before '73, but not exactly sure of years.

2. 14FF is definitely stronger. I've broken several D60 shafts (1.31" 30-spline) with 39.5 TSLs, but if you're running 38s or smaller, you should be fine.

3. Depends on what tires you're running and your driving stlye. See # 2. If you already have the D60, then you might go ahead and use it, but I would try to sell it and get the 14FF if the ratio is right. This way you're upgraded in strength for bigger tires in the future.

4. No it won't. TSM ( The Streetrod Mfg. Co. ) carries the disc conversion brackets you're looking for, although they're pricey. You could also try to make your own.

5. Not sure.

6. You'll have to move the spring perches.

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One of the major benefits to a 60 rear is the ability to run an ARB.

4. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

1 - Pre 1973. Check the BOM.

2 - D60 rears aren't quite as strong, but if it is the 35 spline d60, then you'll be fine. The 31 spline (or w/e it is) is about the equivilent of a 14SF

3 - If the D60 is 35 spline, then run it. If it isn't, then get a 14ff, or 35 spline d70

4 - Dunno

5 - Check the BOM

6 - Measure the perches and tell us. D60's have diff perches for diff trucks.

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Just come down here and take 2 of my 14ff and convert one of them into a steer axle.....doh /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just bought a 8 lug 10B and a D60 rear with 4.10's, mainly to change my gears ratio in the K5 from 3.08's. My question are:

1. what years did GM run a D60 rear axles in there trucks?

2. which is stronger a D60 or a 14B? I have a line on a 14B locally too, just trying to decide which rear I am going to run.

3. Which rear would you run if you were in my shoes?

4. Will a 14B disc conversion backing plate fit a D60 rear and if not who carries a D60 disc conversion?

5. Is there anyway to tell what my D60 came out of?

6. Is the D60 a direct fit under a K5 or am I going to have to move the spring perches?

Thanks for the help.

Krennen /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll add my $0.02.....

1. At least 67-72. They were used pre '67 as well but they could be 19 spline when you get that old.

2. All post '67 GM D60 rears are 30 spline 1.31" dia axles. Not as strong a 14BFF's 30 spline 1.5" dia axles. They are not upgradeable to 35 spline shafts because the spindle ends are not big enough.

3. I bought a '67 GMC D60 rear, compared the cost to rebuild and lock it....and bought a 14BFF instead.

4. No, the GM D60 rears use 6 bolts to attach the drum brake backing plate. 14BFF's use 4 bolts. Blackbird's Custom Trucks has a disk kit.

5. BOM, if you can find it. Blackbird's site shows some good pics of the Furd, Dudge, and GM D60's, you might be able to determine your axle's OEM application that way.

6. Depends. If you determine that it is a GM D60, the 2wd versions have the K5 required 42.5" perch spacing. A 4X4 GM D60 has a 40" perch spacing. If it is a Dudge or Furd, I bet you'll have to move them.

Hope that helps! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

The shock mounts need to be moved also....

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

You are correct, sir..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Just guess how I knew that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Update.

Thanks for the info.

I have got more info on the D60 it is from a Dodge, so chances are I am going to buy a 14B and sell the 60 and Trutrac diff. Now if the professional freeloader amongst us *cough* 4x4gunz *cough* *cough* would get off his ass and let me know what gear ratios he has I would probably buy one. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Oh BTW you have PM 4x4gunz.

Krennen

11. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Duuuuuuuuuude.... I've been trying to get my maid to go out there and figure out the axle gears... I don't think I'd have enough time between commercial breaks.... you just don't understand how hard it is being a professional couch potatoe as well as a profesional freeloader and a professional jeep eater. Dude trust me you couldn't handle my job(s). It's hard being lazy. I just make it look easy.

12. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Michael /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

John