Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr_clean, Feb 16, 2005.

1. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Ok, first let me say sorry, I'm sure this info exists in other posts, but I've been searching for a couple hrs now and can't find it specifically.

My rig is a stock 73' Jimmy and will have 4" lift with 33's. Right now I have a 350/th350, D44 front, 12 bolt rear with 3.08 gears and I plan on light wheeling and towing (nothing more than a 24' travel trailer). I'm thinking the 3.08 are going to kill me when towing. I understand it isn't worth sinking any money into the 12 bolt when a 14ff is so cheap.

So my question is this: Is the 14ff pretty much a bolt in swap for my 12 bolt?
    And can I just swap 8 lug D44 rotors for my 6 lug rotors?

Thanks,

Scott

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't know about the rotors for the D44, but if you get your 14 bolt from a 3/4 ton, it will be a direct bolt in besides the u-joint. You need a conversion u-joint. If you get your 14 bolt from a 1 ton, you'll need to move the spring perches out. Cost you about $20 in welding and whatever the going rate for spring perches is.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Easiest way I've found is too buy both front and rear axle out of a K20, or K30 if you can get them cheap enough. Matching gears front and rear. Should already have the lower gears, and bigger breaks. Do you really need them ?? I think it's better then doing a gear swap with 1/2 ton axles. Only thing is ground clearence and a 14 bolt FF.

4. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear the 14 is bolt in (at least with a 3/4 ton).

So the 4" lift springs will be same for either axle then right?

The only reason I was wondering about the d44 rotors is because I already went through the hub assemblies on my d44 (all new bearings & new warn premiums) and was hoping I didn't waste my time with that...

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The springs will be the same for either AXLE, not neccessarily for the truck it came off of. I believe that some companies make heavier duty springs for heavier duty trucks...not to mention the fact that some higher GVW trucks used 56" springs and your K5 almost certainly uses 52's. So yes, the spring will fit the axle, but make sure you order them for your truck and not the one that the axle came off of.

6. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

That is exactly what I wanted to know. I'm getting ready to order my 4" springs and wanted to make sure I didn't shoot myself in the wallet...

Thanks for all the help!!!

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What springs are you going with ?? Some are stiffer the others. I myself like BDS and Tuff Country. I'd avoid the stiffer ones because they ride rough.

8. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I had the same set up on my 70 Jimmy for several yrs, 4" lift, 33's, 350/350, 3.08 gearing. I actually didnt mind it a bit on the highway and it worked suprisingly well offroad except for crawling. You can have a ton of fun with it....Towing would suck though.....

Dont forget with a 3/4 swap you'll need 8 lug wheels, you can get 15" 8 lugs so you can still use your existing tires but you'll need to grind the front brake calipers down to fit or get wheels with the proper backspacing. Also on mine I had to shorten the rear driveshaft when swapping in the 14FF and hooking up the e brake was more involved than I cared to do so I left them unhooked. Not sure on a 2nd gen if they hook right up or not :thumb:

9. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I was planning on tuff country or bds. I was going to call ORD and let them package up a setup for me.

Maybe I'll try the 3.08's for a while and not hurry on the axles (since bigyellow didn't mind.) until I find a 8 lug 44 setup to match a 14ff. As long as the springs I get will work on the 14ff I don't need to be in a big hurry.

Thanks for the help all!!!

Scott