Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Apr 19, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

Hey, I have a chance to get my hands on a 14 bolt that has welded spider gears in it for about $250... This needs to be a daily driver, and I will also use it on slick roads.

Would it be worth picking up and putting 4.10's in? (ie making it open again, probably w/ a powertrax)

I really don't think I need a 14 bolt, and don't know if I need the extra weight. I think a 12 bolt would be plenty...

I can get a 12 bolt for $50.00, but it has either bad spider gears or bad rings/pinion. I would put 4.10's in this and rebuild it...

I will be running 35's and possibly 36's. Will be used for offroad a lot, but not in extreme stuff... When ever I offroad I have my wife and kids with me.

Adivce please?

Thanks in advance...

<font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue>

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Around here $250 is cheap for a 14 bolt. They are limited on locker selection compared to other axles. Ask tRustyK5 on how he likes his "Lincoln Locker" in his 14 bolt. It's a bit better than a 12 bolt and hands down over a 10 bolt.

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I decided to go 12b w/ mine for gas milage and weight concerns, plus I really think the front dana 44 will break before a rear 12b anyways. I upgraded the caps to steel units... added arp studs for the caps as well... also upgraded to Superior axles. I figure should be good enough for now... at least while it has to be my daily driver. A 14B is bullet proof, but has a lot of weight. I would say if you can setup the R&P it is worth a shot, otherwise keep look'n. I'd go for whatever you can get the best deal on.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm not sure about saying a 14 bolt is "a bit better than a 12 bolt". IMHO, the 12 bolt is not even in the same league as a 14FF for strength.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I was saying that in respect to those who believe that a 12 bolt is the best. Unfortunately, I have a 12 bolt but I'm looking for a 14 bolt or a Dana 60 for the rear, Dana 44 or 60 for the front. You do give up some ground clearance with a 14 or a 60 over a 12 or a 10, but that wheel stays attached if you break an axle. A decent 14 bolt in OKC runs about $500 condition who knows. For 250, it would have been in the back of my truck and headed down the road.

6. solowookie

I'm sure the 12 bolt is much stronger, but in my case thats not the only consideration...

There aren't too many salvage yards around here... Those 2 axles are the ONLY ones that I've found...

I'm a couple hours away from Salt Lake City and surrounding area's...

Maybe I'll have to call around in Utah and see what I can find... In the mean time I think I'm gonna pick up that 12 bolt for $50.00... Open it up, and find out exactly whats wrong with it...

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I rode with tRustyK5 the other day with his Lincoln Locker and am totally impressed. NO bad road manners, and he was getting it on in the RAIN.............absolutely as he has described it "point and shoot". Very impressive.

IMHO, go 14 bolt. I have had 2 12 bolts go with basic 350 motors running the drivetrain, with 35 and 36" tires respectively. They just are not in the league of a 14 bolt.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Have I got a deal for you! I'm in Utah (not a morman) and have a 14 bolt open, and a D44 8 lug looking for a home.

As far as a "lincon locked" 14 bolt, I woudn't run any kind of locked or "auto" locker in a daily driver. I've done a few unexpected spin-outs in black ice and snow due to locker action,mostly gov-locks, when you don't know you have them they can take you by suprize. You can drive around with them, but you have to treat them differently.

If I'm thinking right, a welded 14 bolt is not a easy thing to do, I think you would have to pull the case out and separate the two halfs to weld up the spider gears. Still $250 for a 14 bolt is not all that bad of a deal, might be money in the bank down the raod at some time.

Twiztid

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 04/19/01 09:53 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

9. solowookie

Now, how come everybody assumes your a mormon if you live in utah... lol [​IMG]

I don't know if I really want to go to a 14 bolt in the rear, but if the price was right I might consider it... [​IMG]

What is the gear ratio in these axles?

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

4:10s, in accordance with what the prophet told me.

Twiztid

11. solowookie

lol...

Well hey, lets get down to it... I'll leave you a private message w/ contact info and we'll get down to it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. solowookie

I've never heard of the lincoln... Tell me more about it, where it get it, approx cost etc...

Thanks,

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Well, it is not actually one you can find and buy and install.........you weld up your spider gears, effectively making your rear end a spool. Always locked! Send a private message to tRustyK5 if you want more info......

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

"Lincoln" come from the name of one of the biggest (the biggest?) welder manufacturers, Lincoln Electric. Also, some of the guys on here run those welded setups on daily drivers with no problems. They've even reported that it is better than a Detroit because it is totally predictable.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

15. solowookie

hey, ya know what I've been conversing with thatk30guy, and I think he's convinced me to go to a 14B!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. solowookie

oh... I get it... lol

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well wookie guy [​IMG] I run a welded 14 in my daily driver and like Frank says it is a non-issue. To get my truck to get all snakey and sideways on wet pavement would probably take an act of God, or sidestepping the clutch at 4000 RPM...

Yes it does chirp the tires a bit in a parking lot but a lot of 'locker' equipped rigs do that to, big deal. Mostly its point and shoot especially off-road.

As for it making a difference in gas mileage? Hard to tell but my carb'd non OD 5" lifted 36" Swamper shod pig managed 13+ MPG all the way home from Porland OR to Vancouver BC. And for my fellow Canadian CK5ers that number is in US gallons not imperial...[​IMG]

The 14 is heavy but bomb-proof. I'll never lose an axle and I can gain about 3/4" of ground clearance in less than an hour with a grinder...in fact I might just do that soon. Another good thing with the 14 bolt is that you can dis-assemble it down to prety well a bare housing and put it all back together with common hand tools. As long as you don't want to change ratios its dirt simple. There are no side shims to play with, no case spreader etc...just threaded side adjusters. One scribe mark on each side and you can drop the carrier right out without worries.

I'll stop babbling.

Rene...welded and loving it!

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

18. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Rene, you are the poster child for the Lincoln Locker (or was it Miller Locker!) LMAO

Also, you can always convert it back (correct/shoot me if I am wrong) to a Detroit very easy...........in fact, thanks to Rene's "encouragement" I am taking on the Detroit into a 14FF on my father-in-law's 3/4 ton pickup soon...........looks pretty straightforward. Looked at Shawn's review (great job Shawn [​IMG]) and am very confident it will be simple. What other diff can you even consider that on!!!????

19. solowookie

man, have I mentioned how much I like this board lately??? [​IMG]
    you know thatk30guy basically said the same thing, and the more I thought about it the more I knew he was right... I knew I'd end up going to a 14B FF, and I'd end up spending the money twice... and I HATE to spend money twice!

I don't mind spending more to do it right the first time, but if thats the case I don't want to have to do it again...

[​IMG][​IMG]

20. Miller

Miller Registered Member

Im bringing the thread back from the dead, looks like Im bring it way back.

heres my deal, first off let me know if this should stay tucked away in the archives never to be seen again.??????? here she comes anyways.

Ive got a 14b sf rear and Ive decided to weld it. but not sure how to go about it. Ive read the ck5 article on welding the 14bff axle. but havent ever heard of anyone welding a sf 14b. maybe Ill be the frist.

breakage and difrent driveing characteristics are already exspected and arent a concern to me.
    is there any links or info out there on this axle and welding it or am I gona be the first to try it.

I did do a search and didnt come up with much, a few posts, I decided to reply to this because therees similiar info .
    anyways I gues thats it for now.

thankx for the info
    Evan