Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87K54WD, May 14, 2001.

1. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

Did a search on this but didn't get a real clear answer. I just looked at my RPO codes and discovered I have a GU6 (Rear Axle 3.42) and G80 (Positraction / Limited Slip / Locking Rear Diff). Is this a good setup??? Also, how does an "open" diff play into all of this??? Does this setup (RPO codes) apply to the front axle as well??? Also, I just changed out my rear diff fluid a while back with 80-90W Valvoline Synthetic Blend. Should I have used this tube of special additive I keep reading about??? Sorry for the load of questions ... just trying to learn more about this stuff. Thanks in advance!

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think that they only put lockers in ther rear of trucks (gov-lock). It doesn't need special lube. If nowone else confirms this you can give a dealer a call.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

3. LittleJimmy

LittleJimmy 1/2 ton status

Some people use the additive and some don't I think it is preference though. As far as the set up goes, it all depends on what you want to do with your truck. I would say it is average.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd have to say that lube IS necessary. If not necessary,. it can't hurt. The gov-locks DO have clutches, so why wouldn't use use the lube??

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen