Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by basing110, Sep 14, 2005.

1. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

i came across a 14 bolt cucv?? with 4.56 gears and a detroit locker for $350

now i heard somewhere about it being a military axle so the detroit is bad or can be bad etc... so what is the scoop on these type of axles? are they good for the gears and locker? how can i check to see if they are what he says they are?

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The locker people make faces at is the gov-lok, if this axle came out of a CUCV it has a REAL detroit locker, not the same thing. Nothing to worry about, a bit steep in price though.

3. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

so should i pull the diff cover off and check it when i see it? also how will the gears be marked, what numbers? and for the gov-lock how do i differ that from the detroit? i know the gov lock has 3 somthing and the detroit will have 4 somthing right? then just hold one end and spin the other and hear it click right? is it bad to get a military axle..are they usually worn bad?

4. mikey_d05

Always pull the diff cover and check. I forget what numbers the ring gear should have on it but there should be a 40something and a 10something. If you divide one by the other you'll get a number very close to 4.56. I'm sure somebody else will post up and tell you how many teeth are on the ring and pinion (the reasoning behind the numbers). The carrier for a detroit (and an open carrier for that matter) has four pins in it. Just rotate the pinion and count the number of pins you see in the carrier. The gov-lock has three pins in the carrier, stay away from it. I don't think buying a military axle is a bad call at all. I run them and when I got them they were in excellent shape, about 20,000 miles on them total and nothing needed to be replaced. Heck, the brake pads were 90-95%.

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Yes, the locker is bad. Buy it and immediately give it to me in an even trade for an open carrier....... :D

Like he said, real 100% Detroit locker in there. See what the lube looks like, make sure it didn't have water in it and check the ring gear for wear.

6. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

well i know about lockers and axles but i was unsure about the exact numer stamped on the ring and also the cucv cause i read somwhere about the old military detroit lockers are not to good cause they are very used and abused.

7. mikey_d05

Depends on what you get I guess, I've never heard of one being in terrible shape but I'm sure they exist. Just like any other axle, sniff around a use common sense.

8. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

typically most Military rigs have low miles on them. I doubt they really wheel those things all that hard.. i would think it would be in good shape..

9. gib7336

gib7336 Newbie

Get it!! I have a cucv with a detroit locker and I love it!!

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

My rear axle is from a 1985 CUCV and I beat the piss out of it for the last 3 years with no issues at all.

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Most of the military trucks have low miles on them and the components are in good condition. I would say that $350 isnt really a bad price. 4.56's will usually be low enough (depending on application) so you dont have to pay for a re-gear, and the detroit itself is upwards of $500. IMHO a 14ff with a detroit is the ideal combination. The detroit is one of if not the best and strongest locker on the market and has earned a reputation of being almost unbreakable (much like the 14ff). Id say get it...im running a cucv 14ff with 4.56's and a detroit and I wouldnt have it any other way.

Oh, and the only sure way to know the gear ratio is to pull the cover and look at the ring gear. If you spin it around, you will eventually see a line of numbers stamped on it. Its been a while but it goes something like this:

GM1034808274 41 9 7 90

The breakdown: The first part (GMxxxx) is just a long irrelevant string of numbers in this case. I guess its a casting number or whatnot but its unimportant here.

The next two numbers (41 9) are the ring and pinion teeth count. Divide the higher one by the lower one and you get the gear ratio. In this case, 41/9=4.56.

The last two numbers are the manufacture date. In this case the (7 90) would indicate that the axle was made in July of 1990.
    -Harrison

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member