Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Questions

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by sixpennylizard, Nov 27, 2006.

1. sixpennylizard

sixpennylizard Registered Member

I need some help making a decision between 3/4ton and 1ton axles. I have an 86' 1/2ton suburban that is my DD. I plan to do some offroading on the weekends with the family. I was thinking about either a 4" or 6" lift, I'm not sure what size or kind of tire to run. This is my first Suburban and also my first 4x4 so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The only difference between the two sets is the front axle . And if you aren't extreme rockcrawling , I doubt you would need more than 3/4 tons . Been covered before . Search is your friend my friend :thumb:

3. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

I have a 3/4 ton wanting to run 1 ton axles. 3/4 ton would prob be fine with what you are talking about. Right now I am running no lift with 33 in tires with a little fender trimming. For lift I would say shackle flip (DIY4x or ORD) with a set of 4" springs. At that you prob won't need extended brake lines or a raised steering arm. Depending on your setup. You should be able to clear 35s easy with that set up and would be adaquate for the weekend warrior. I have a blast with my 33s right now and when I get my lift on (DIY4x shackle flip, 4" Tough Country HD front springs, Zero rates all around, and New HD 6" shackles sitting in my living room waiting for the install) I will be going to 38.5s or 44s. Haven't decided yet.
    If you stick with 35s or so, your 3/4 running gear should work.

Post up with pics next time to see what you got

4. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

There's lots of info if you search, but since you ponied up for a membership, I don't mind sharing.

Most agree, if you stay with 35" tires or smaller, then a Dana 60 (one tin front axle) is overkill (course there's nothing wrong with overkill). Some will even say you can stay with the 10 bolt rear with 35s if you can keep your foot off the skinny pedal. Most switch to 14BFF or 14BSF rear for insurance that nothing will break because they are cheap, usually $100-150. A front 8 lug 10B is about the same, or you can change yours over to 8 lug. On the other hand, a front dana 60(one ton front) is usually around $1000. Thus only the serious, or overkill guys usually invest in one.

As far as lifts go, if you go 4" you can fit 33" with no trimming and 35" with mild trimming. I've got all my parts on order for a 4" lift w/ Tuff Country front lift springs and a shackle flip for the rear. I'll post up how it goes, but that's a very common set up, and there are tons of threads on it, so no point in waiting, just search. BTW it is reccomended you get a raised steering arm for 4" lift, and most kits come with extensions for your brake lines. You should also relocate your sway bar.

BTW, if you'd like to expound on your intentions with the burb, I'm sure more guys would pipe up with specifics. The old timers just get tired of answering the same old questions sometimes. :wink1:

5. sixpennylizard

Thanks guys I have done some searching an alot of reading since I posted this but I greatly appriciate the help none the less. I have decided on a 4" lift and some 33". I do have some new questions though. I am thinking about keeping my stock 1/2ton axles but if I do swap the rear for a 14ff or 14sf how much ground clearance will I lose? I was thinking that with 33" and the 14ff swap I wouldn't actualy gain all that much over stock, am I on the right track or is the difference not noticeable?

6. Disturban

Disturban 1/2 ton status

I have about a 5" lift ,runnin' 35's with front fenders trimmed.I also have 10 bolts..no problems yet. I'd stay at 4" with 33's , you should be able to do whatever on the weekends.Like they said tho'...watch the skinny pedal!

7. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

I've never actually measured, but I think you only lose an inch or so at the pumpkin. Unless you're crawlin, it shouldnt be an issue.

8. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

For what your doing I would just stick with your stock axles. Doesn't sound like you will be doing anything extreme. Get some time and experience under your belt before you start dropping tons of $$$ into it.

9. sixpennylizard

I guess I'll stick with the stock rear and if it breaks I'll have an excuse to buy something better. BTW, its not my DD any more since I have a company truck now.

10. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

That makes it SOOO much nicer for mods, and for being able to break stuff with less consequence.

11. sixpennylizard

update....

I picked up some 3/4ton axles from chopped&bobbed77burb(thanks) and I have just picked up the flat top d44 knuckle for my crossover steering.:D I'm going to try and redo the gears on the d44 front with the help of a friend that has some know how. Hopefuly all goes well. On a side note I had my first trail damage this weekend:eek1: We were out on some Heep trails and well lets just say a fat stump got the best of the front bumper:haha: