Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bad_bo_ti, May 20, 2000.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

what should i look at when looking at a used axle? i found a set of 1 ton axles for $100 for the pair. should i take the pumpkin cover off, what should i inspect in here? any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>DEFINETLY take the cover off the diff and look at the gears, there should be no rust or pitting, and the wear spot should be in the center of the tooth and it should be oval shaped. Also look in the differential itself, There shouldn't be a lot of play in the spider gears. You should also pay attention to the housing. Is there cracks? How badly rusted is it? Does it look like it has been sitting in one place for a while? Look for spots where oil has been leaking out of the housing. I would also plan on replaceing lots of seals, bearings, locking hubs, and brake parts. If they are in decent shape, $100 doesn't sound that bad seeing how much a dana 60 alone costs</font color=blue>