Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle ratio Q

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by santana, Apr 15, 2004.

1. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

without removing the diff cover, is there a way to find out the gear ratio of said diff? What's the ideal ratio for a DD with 33's and overdrive?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Ideal ratio is going to vary by everyone, but my opinion, 4.10's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

To find out the ratio without pulling the cover...jack up the rear end, put a chalk line on your tire and your rear driveline, turn the tire one full revolution and count the revolutions of the driveline....3-3/4 turns of the drivline is 3.73's, 4-1/4 turns of the driveline is 4.10's. Hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'll try that, I had heard bfore to turn the actual drive shaft while in neutral but I guess it is the wheel that get turned huh?

thanks muddy.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

4.56's for a DD with 33's. I am running 4.56's with my 35's (33.5" actual height) and it is ok but not good. I ran 4.56 with my 32's (31" actual height) and I liked it alot with the OD. I spun a few to many RPM's sometimes when downshifting from OD to D on mountain grades (if I was above 65-70 mph but beyond that it was awesome. With 33's it should be good. 33's probably won't measure 33" probably closer to 31.5-32". Should work well.

If you want 35's in the future get 4.88's and live with the extra RPM's till you get larger tires. With my 35's I wish I had 4.88's and with the 37's I will have I will need 5.13's.

4.56's all the way if you plan on 33's only and you stick to your guns. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Harley

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You are referring to the 1 ton axles (d60 14bff) coming from your parts truck in cali, right? They are probably going to be decent gears like 4.10's unless someone special ordered it when it was new with lower gears than that. I would change the fluid before using those anyways seeing as how they are used, could check gearing then, its stamped on edge of ring gear. Need help when the axles show up call me. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif