Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle relocation options

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Derf00, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

My '90 Jimmy has a 6" BDS all spring lift, ORD extended front shackles, and 1" zero rates in the rear, and it sits level. I am now considering larger tires, 40 -42's, and am considering relocating the axles. What are my options for relocating the front axle and keeping is close to level?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I redrilled my spring perches and moved the axle forward. It seemed to work well for me. I moved it forward 1.25 inches.

3. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I redrilled my spring perches and moved the axle forward

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any drawbacks doing it like that?

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Sandman

Not that I have found. At first I was worried about strength issues but other people on the board rattled off some extreme trails that they ran with no problems after doing this mod. I decided to do it this way as I did not want any more lift in the front and it was a free thing to do. I could also move it back real easy if I ever wanted to. I've done some pretty rough wheeling and have not had any problems.

5. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

With 1.25 inches,I guess stock driveshaft will work just fine with 3" lift that I'm getting?And probably steering adjustment?

6. Sandman

The steering might be a trick if its stock. You might have to cut down the draglink ends to make up the space. dont know about the driveshaft. Every truck seems to be different on that one.

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I have crossover and have already had my front driveshaft modified for a 6" lift. Can I assume that moving the axle won't be a problem?

8. Sandman

I would think that you would be fine. I had the extra spline on my front driveline (12" spline) and now I show like 4 or 5 inches. If the mod cost any money I dont think I would have done it. It did help the tire to the firewall issue though. My tires stuff just fine now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The steering might be a trick if its stock. You might have to cut down the draglink ends to make up the space. dont know about the driveshaft. Every truck seems to be different on that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks man,I appreciate your help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Sandman

Good luck with it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Heres a pic of my tires moved forward.

[​IMG]

11. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Hey Fred,
    How is everything?
    I moved mine forward the same way Sandman did, by drilling the perches and top plates. Very simple mod, and with crossover, your steering wheel will be off a little, but the drag link is the only other adjustment you will need to do. Here is a pic of mine with the 36"s. I have had no problems with this mod. I have 38"s on there now and have yet to rub the fender wells. I could run 40"s with no problem. My next tire/wheel combo will be 42"s with beadlocks.
    [​IMG]

12. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I just did the A-Tron relocation block last weekend. I had him put a 3 degree taper on it, and the block was still about 7/8" tall...well, between the extra height of the block and moving axle forward 1.5", I needed to have the d-shaft lengthened. I too have a 6" lift. I had never lengthened the d-shaft prior to this, as when I put the D60 in, the extra pinion length allowed me to get away with the stock shaft. Not sure how much difference the 7/8" of lift made, most of it was due to moving axle forward. Everything looks to be fine with my crossover steering setup, no issues yet. Am gonna check out the drag link to crossmember clearance again when I go wheeling this weekend, looks like it will be ok, but we'll see! I sure hope this relocation helps the 38.5 SXs avoid major inner fender contact!