Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle relocation shims and crossover steering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Beast, Dec 10, 2002.

1. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I have a 79 k10 with a D60 front, 8" skyjacker springs, and ORD HD shackles. My 1350 front driveshaft is binding mildly at the pinion yoke. My springs have 5 degree shims already, but the ORD shackles take away about 1 degree. I would like to move my axle forward 1.5" at the same time to make more room for my 44" swampers. If I used some A-tron 8 degree 1.5" axle relocation blocks, will I have problems with my drag link hitting the leaf spring? Any other problems? Let me know if you have done this or a similar mod. Thanks in advance.

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

If you shim it that much, won't you get a mean case of death wobble?
    -- Mike

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure........I hope NOT. It's only 3 degrees more than what I have (putting me at 7 total)
    That's why I'm asking. Has anyone done this before?

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Dont have any idea. I have 2.5 degree shims and 4" of lift and I have death wobble. Are the 5 degree shims you have steel or aluminum? Do they have a hole in the center or a slot to install them. If they have a hole are you interested in possibly selling them?

I moved my axle forwars 1.5" by drilling new holes in the spring packs.

Depdog

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I have had DW, but a new steering stabilizer cured it. Now I have it, but just barely. It's not bad at all and I figure I can live with it until I get my redneck ram. My shims are steel and they are bolted to my front springs via the centering pins. They are also the same width as the spring pack. I'm just not sure how much 3 degrees would change everything. I considered drilling new holes for my centering pins, but sort of decided that the easier way was to use the offset degree wedges. Do you have crossover steering? What is the arch on your front springs? Mine are 8". Do you see any reason for me not to move my axle forward 2" by drilling new holes?

6. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I have 4" Tuff Country EZ rides. If you move it forward 2" you will probably have the old center bolt holes exposed at the rear of the spring mounting plates. The only thing I dont like about the zero rates/blocks that move the axle are that you have to re drill the spring mounting plates. Thats just not something I like to do.

Let me know if you decide you want to sell the shims. I would like to try some different ones to see if it kills my death wobble. Mine is right at about 25 to 30 mph and dies after that. Its worse slowing down than accelerating. Oh, I am running 39.5x15x15 TSL's on 3.5" backspaced wheel and I have crossover steering using the ORD arm and rockstomper tie rod.

Depdog