Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle ?'s on a 90 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dale fan, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Axle ?\'s on a 90 K5

My 10 bolt rear end has been giving me some pinion bearing whine here lately so I have been looking out for a heavier duty replacement. Came across a whole truck that doesn't run, motors shot. It's a 82 GMC crew-cab 3/4 ton 2wd with single rear wheels. It has a 14bff rear end. Wants $400 for the whole truck. Would that 14 work and is that a decent price? Mine has all that abs crap on it. I would have to retain my front 10 bolt for awhile.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Re: Axle ?\'s on a 90 K5

Well anything else you can use from the truck?
    The axle alone is worth around 200 so if you can't use anything else then just go out and buy the axle from a junk yard.

3. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

That 14bolt will drop right in, ebrake cables aside, but,, does the gear ratio match your front? The good news is the ABS computer will not give a poop about the axle, There is no sensor on the axle like a "modern" truck. You may feel a little pulse now and then but the 14 will not give a cr@p. BTW you may feel the need for an adustable propotioning valve for the rear.

4. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

yeah i got to check the ratio he wasn't for sure but i bet i won't get lucky.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I believe you will have to relocate the shock mounts.
    On 2wd 14ff axles the shock mounts hang down something like 2" lower than they would on a 4wd 14ff..

So if it were a 4wd 14ff out of a 3/4 ton it would be a bolt in.
    If it's 2wd you will have to relocate the shock mounts higher.

I could be wrong on this but i just saw someone do a swap with this problem.

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

personally, depnding on what you use the truck for, i blew my 10 bolt on my 87 1\2 ton, i put a 79 6 lug 12 bolt under my truck, it works for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif