Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KING K5, Oct 31, 2000.

1. KING K5

KING K5 1/2 ton status

Axle ?\'s

Hey all!
    Can anyone tell me anything about "Eaton" axles? Particularly about the 1 ton rear end...any one know the rep for these ie, strength, parts availability, etc, etc.
    and anyone know how it compares to the 14bolt ff and if it would be a direct bolt up to a blazer etc? Also does anyone know what a good price for this axle would be with 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and Eldorado disks?? Any and all help, info on this axle would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!!

Jeff (KING K5)

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Re: Axle ?\'s

They were used from the 40s up till 1972. Parts are obsolete, except for bearings and seals (and brakes, of course). R & Ps are non-existant, course there's lots of em in junkyards. Ring diameter is just over 10", comparable to a 14 bolts. Also, the shafts are the same size, just coarser splined than a 14. If you can steal it, meaning under $400 for what you describe, I'd buy it. However, be aware that 14 bolts can be had for as little as $100, Detroits are $300 new, and discs can be put on them for $300 or so.

ken

3. KING K5

KING K5 1/2 ton status

ANYONE ELSE??

4. Re: Axle ?\'s

I'ld go with the 14 bolt,they're hard to find parts for new but if you ever break it their eazy to replace.
    What I mean to say is the dealer still has parts for them but its big $$.They're so cheap and easy to find in salvage yards.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I think ken pretty much summed it up...what else do you need to know?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    The Road Goes On Forever.....And The Party Never Ends!

6. Flipper

Flipper Registered Member

I helped swap in that axle on a 72, and I think he got it from a 70 pu. As long as its got good bearings and gears, go for it. He used it as a daily driver for 2 years no complaints.