Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle seal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 468k5, Apr 16, 2006.

1. 468k5

468k5 1/2 ton status

I have not had much luck searching for this so I'll just ask
    A long time back I read a tech write up in one of the 4x mags about some guy figured out a seal that would work for the outer tube on a D44. It fit just inside the "C" and around the shaft, the one he used was a NAPA part # but I can't find the mag or any other info.Have any of you guys done this and if so what seal did you use?
    thanks

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not sure...

I never used them myself,but a co-worker at the parts store who worked the "large truck" counter (semi's,and heavy equipment) claimed he found seals that worked by size listings in the numerical listings catalog..when he looked the number up in the computer,we had them in stock!..they supposedly fit either a Dodge truck in the 70's with a Dana 44 axle,or an IHC....I didn't get the number from him,I should have!..it probably wouldn't be too hard to look under Dodge trucks in the catalog,and use a "size" listing chart to see if they are the right O.D. and I.D...

I know one guy who has a lawsuit against a local "Pep Boys" store,who tried twice to "seal" his Ford F250's leaking front diff,first by using a full caulking gun sized tube of RTV silicone gasket maker in the axle tube,then a can of that foam sealant you buy at Home Depot to caulk up holes, when he brought it back,still leaking!.:screwy: ...they charged him over 600 bucks too.....they never put seals in like they said they did!.(had another shop finally do it right!)...NOW they are in for it!..:p:

3. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

interesting

i want to see more info on this??

pic of where this seal would sit at too ?

4. 468k5

468k5 1/2 ton status

ok how about this.............does anyone know inside dia. of a dana44,3/4 ton tube?

5. 468k5

468k5 1/2 ton status

anyone?