Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle seal??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I noticed yesterday, after I did a little wheelin' in the backyard, that I have something dripping down the inside of my tire on the passenger side. It looks like gear lube is leaking from around the axle shaft, down to the lower ball joint, and then dripping onto my tire. Is there an axle shaft seal in there? Please tell me that Its something on the outside of the axle (meaning I can go in from the hub side to fix it) I don't want to have to pull the guts out of the pumpkin'....

2. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I did a search on this when mine started leaking and found out that the general opinion was that it is a pain in the ass, so I left mine and it stopped leaking by itself (lucky).

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Damn... I figured that was gonna be the answer. I remember reading some posts about this type of problem not too long ago.

Anybody out there know for sure??

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

The whole carrier needs to come out to replace that inner seal, it is pressed in from inside of the diff housing. The reason that Fry's probably stopped leaking is because it's now low on oil...

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

What kind of special tools/knowledge is necessary to take out the carrier? I'm guessing that I don't have to re-set the backlash because the pinion is not coming out... right? Will there be any shimming or other strange gear setup stuff that I would have to do?

6. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Having done this once, the biggest thing I;d say was when taking it apart, place pieces in a way that you'll know the exact way to put them back in. It worked for me.

7. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

actually mine only leaked for a couple of days then it turned to sweating then it stopped completely maybe over a period of a month. I always check my fluids at least once a month and after my little leak it was not down below the inspection hole.
    A buddy of mine made a special puller so he only needed to pull the axle and use this puller to pull the seal.