Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle seals?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Confederate9, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i did a search but i cant find how to completley change my axle seals. I have no clue how to do it. Its a 10 bolt rear i have no clue where to start when doing this.
    thanks for the help

2. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

i did mine about 6 months ago. i had to jack the rear end of the blazer up and remove the tire, also remove the diff cover and fluid from the rear end, inside the rear end you'll find a pin that needs to come out and 2 C-Clips push in on the axle to release these C-clips, as soon as the C-Clips come off, the whole shaft should slide out, while removing the shaft, use the end of the shaft to remove the old seal, or you can use a screwdriver or the actual seal remover, make sure you get all of it out of the axle and install the new seal with a large socket, press it in straight, put shafts back into axle tube, connect both c-clips and the bolt back in, install new diff gasket if needed "more then likely" and refill diff with gear lube, "and posi addidive if needed" put wheel back on and spin quite a few times to work the diff fluid into the axle, then make sure the fluid didn't go down to far, if so add more, .....that should sum it up if i remember correctly . hope this helps

Ck1500 /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Since you're going to be in there replacing the seals, you should do the bearings at the same time. One of the reasons that the seals start leaking is because of worn bearings. The whole job is really pretty easy, but be prepared to extract the bolt in the carrier that holds the crosspin in. It's pretty common for it to break when you try to remove it so you should have access to EZ outs if possible.</font color>

4. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

yeah i forgot about that hehehe luckily it didn't break on mine /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

and i second doing the bearings and everything while in there!!!! good call

5. Confederate9

how do i get these c-clips out? i am having the hardest time!
    whats the secret /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, if any , and or how do i do that

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> They should come out real easy if the crosspin is out. Also, you have to pull the drums off and push the axleshafts in as far as they will go. Once that is done they should pretty much just fall off. </font color>

7. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

did you remove the large cross pin yet??? if not the C-clips will not come out, cuz the axle does not have any room to move in or out, once the cross pin is removed you can push your drums in and the c-clips will probably fall into the pig like mine hehehe make sure you get em back out ....

let us know,

8. Confederate9

well i got them out, but it was by sheer luck! mine wouldnt just fall out, i had to pull it out with a set of needle nose pliars, and it wouldnt work then i go "this is the last try b4 i take a break and try somehting else" and vwala! it came out.
    it wasnt as easy to get it out as it sounded
    thanks for all the help guys!

9. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

welp some times it takes that "lemme try one more time" and ya get lucky i am glad to hear it worked out for ya, good luck on the next mod