Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle shaft movement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Oblin Goblin, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

Is it ok if the axle shaft on a 12 bolt moves in and out a little? I was looking over a used 12 bolt I bought yesterday and I noticed that the left side axle shaft can slide in and out about 1/16". The right one doesn't move. Is this a problem? If so how do I fix it?
    Thanks

2. tagurit

tagurit Registered Member

I have this same problem. I thought there was a "bolt" to keep it from doing this ??

It only does it on the front left of my ride. This is also the only side that gets coated with PS fluid due to a leaky PS gearbox but that shouldn't matter...

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

That is normal. If you are seriously worried about it, you can pull the cover and inspect the ends of the the axle shafts where the C-clip fits in and make sure it is not shearing (not likely) and also inspect the cross shaft. With only 1/16'' movement I wouldn't worry about it.

4. tagurit

tagurit Registered Member

I just read the first post again and that isn't the problem I have.

What I have is the axle tube (part that ties into the leafs) is sliding back and forth. I thought their was a bolt, or pin, to keep the axle from moving?

5. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

tagurit: There is a bolt that goes through the leaf pack and the head of it will fit into a hole in the spring perch to keep the axle in place. It is very easy to replace and very cheap too.