Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle shaft problem...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85 Jimmy, Jul 16, 2006.

1. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

so today i was changing my ball joints and since the u-joints on the axle shafts were wallored out so i was attempting to chang them, well i kinda bent the end of the yoke. i've got pictures and i'll post them in alittle while.

anyway, i just need to know what ya'll would do... put in the new joint and rock it like that or get a new shaft?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the end caps of the joints were wallored out? or the point in the yoke where they go? I'd probably replace it. Once metal bends, its more likely to bend or break the second time.

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Yep, replace it. Did you bend it using a press? You need to install those u-joints with a hammer because the impact helps keep the yoke from bending.

4. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

it looks like the caps got busted and all the needle bearings fell out...

at first i attempted to use a hammer but that got me no where, so i just put it in my vise using a large socket on one side of the u-joint and a smaller one on the other side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I would go with a new shaft since that one is bent. Bending it back could only weaken it further and you'll never get your retaining clips in with it like that.