Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle shaft question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by protechk5, Jan 17, 2005.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

I got a blown 1990 10 bolt rear with the 30 spline shafts right, i got the rebuild kit and new gears to go in it but i still need a carrier. But i have a old front 10 bolt that is pretty old so it has 28 spline shafts, so would that front carrier work in my rear? or does the shafts connect to the carrier?? Get what im saying??

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you'd have to swap side spider gears. Which are likely broken(they are notoriouslly weak). Either that or get 28 spline shafts for your rear. The 30 splines are stronger but its still a 10 bolt, they will still break, so 28 spline is the better option cause the shafts are much easier to get your hands on.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The 30 spline carriers are notoriously weak which apparently you have learned. 28 spline carriers are stronger but the spider gears are weak. Front carriers will swap to the rear and vise versa. The best option I think is a 28 spline carrier, 28 spline shafts, and a traction device that will replace that spider gears.

Harley