Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle shaft question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nofeartruckin00, Aug 21, 2002.

1. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

My rear axle is a 1973 14 bolt FullFloater w/ gov lock. I jacked the rear end off the ground, and when i push in and pull out on the tire, I can get the whole hub/drum/rim assembly to slide in and out almost 1/2" on the driver's side. Push and pull on the passenger side, and it doesnt move in or out at all. No wierd street manners as of yet, except for a grinding/clunking noise under hard braking. Is this just a matter of the big nuts on the inside of the rear hub assembly getting loose and allowing play in and out, or is there somewhere else i should look. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif The truck is off of DD duties until i find the solution. Thanks for you suggestions. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It sounds like either the lock nuts are loose or a bearing is failing. If the nuts are loose it that could have damaged a bearing. In either case, you really need to pull the hub and look at the bearings as opposed to just tightening the nuts.

3. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Well get it fixed quick and see ya at the Pipeline!!! Mine is *almost* ready but can't be driven til I fix the most current problem. I will get it ready and be there though! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. nofeartruckin00

Thanks for the help, looks like i've got some work to do.

5. nofeartruckin00

I totally forgot about pipeline! What day are you heading up there, on labor day, or that weekend? I've got to fix this problem, replace the windshield wiper switch in the column, replace the front axle u-joints, then i should be set /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Things arent looking good as of now, but i NEED to go wheeling.

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Heading out of here Saturday the 31st around noon. Takes a couple hours to get there. We are camping at McCaslin Mountain. Here, if it makes you feel better - we have in the past week or a little more done the following on mine:
    front pinion seal
    front axle u-joints
    repack bearings
    replace seals
    turn rotors
    new brake pads
    discovered broken main rear leaf spring, ordered 4" lift springs instead of going with a block lift like planned (a good thing I suppose, but costly)
    nothing came off nice. Major torch cutting.
    rear springs in, expensive shocks don't fit
    brake line is tight
    front driveshaft too short
    replaced leaking gas tank, truck didn't start
    replaced sending unit and fuel pump last night, drove home
    fuel line leaking now - big time
    SO in order to get there I have to get the spacer on the front shaft (it's on order), replace brake lines, replace fuel line (special order of course)

It has become a tradition to work til the wee hours of the morning before the trip. Last year hub finished an engine swap at 4am, slept a few hours, and then we left. Memorial Day Weekend finished work on his brakes after an axle/body swap the morning that we left. I am really trying to break the tradition but now we have 2 rigs to ready. His needs wiring done yet - it's a mess, along with axle u-joints and a radiator fan shroud. SO, after I just wrote a book to say you are not alone on lots to do in a little time - I hope to see you there!!! Now I have to go crawl under my truck in the rain to make sure we are ordering the correct line. Ah... what a hobby /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. nofeartruckin00

Talk about being determined to go, wow. Dont know if i would be able to get reservations for camping this close to labor day, looks like i need to get my butt in gear. I take it you have a site at McCaslin reserved already? I'll get ahold of some friends and let ya know! Hope everything works out on your truck in time!

8. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

We reserved the site before we left Memorial Day Weekend. Here is the phone # for the campground 715-757-3734

Keep me posted on your truck's progress. I must have married good, because hubby called to let me know the $42 part I need is only $30 through the shop :-). I be cookin' some good meals this week for that man, I couldn't have put in that lift without him!

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The only thing that holds in the axle shaft on a full floater are the bolts on the axle flange. There is no C-clip at the splined end of the shaft. If the hub is moving in and out, STOP driving the truck. It means that either the bearing lock nuts have come loose or a bearing has failed. Either way, if you keep driving it, you could damage the hub and/or the spindle. And the spindle is welded to the end of the axle tube, so you can't just bolt on a new one. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

10. nofeartruckin00

The truck has been parked ever since i found the problem yesterday, just incase it was something like this /forums/images/icons/frown.gif So if the lock nuts on the inside of the hub have loosened up, the only thing holding in the axle shaft are bolts that stick outside the rear hub? I thought there were only spindles for the front axle, not the rear? I learn something new everyday. Does anyone know how the rear bearings would be replaced, just remove the old ones, and press the new ones into the rear hubs? Thanks for your help everyone!

11. nofeartruckin00

I'll have to dig into the axle tonight before i call for reservations. I hope i just have to replace the bearings, and i didnt mess up the shaft itself. If you are leaving saturday, are you planning on wheeling pipeline saturday night, or during the day on sunday? Looks like i've got some wrenching to do after work /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif I'll let you know how things are going, glad things are working out for you atleast /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

12. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Hi again /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

We will maybe do the Pipeline Saturday evening but if nothing else, just wheel on the trails at the campground. I guess it depends on how broken everyone else is by then. Our F*rd friends are going on Friday. Pipeline Sunday, all day, for sure.

Happy wrenching!

13. HarryH3

All Full Floating axles have a spindle. That's what makes it a full floater. The spindle carries the weight of the truck, while the axle just provides torque to the wheel. You can remove the axle shaft without even jacking up the truck. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif The bearings in the wheel hub are just like the ones up front, only larger. Two opposed tapered roller bearings that are preloaded to eliminate any wobble. The outer races are pressed into the hub assembly, while the inner races ride on the spindle shaft. Hopefully the spindle isn't damaged.

14. nofeartruckin00

Thanks for all your help. The lock nuts had backed off a tiny bit, and it allowed the race of the outer bearing to sit cocked inside the hub. The bearing itself is still in good condition, and no marks on the spindle. I guess i kinda lucked out on not having damage. Put the lock nuts back in, torqued them down, and its just as tight as the passenger side. Thanks again! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

15. HarryH3

Sweet! I love it when a fix is easy and doesn't cost anything! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I'd keep a close eye on it for a while, just to make sure that it doesn't loosen up again.

16. nofeartruckin00

I'll probably just replace the bearings after the labor day run, just to be on the safe side. 4 bearings for the rear end cant be that hard to replace (i hope) /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

17. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

FYI: Keeper for the rear lock nuts is GM #3663659.

If you don't have the rear axle hub nut socket. I looked at the Snap-On one a couple days ago and it is way better than any I have seen. My OTC one sucks!

18. nofeartruckin00

Is that the part number for the hub nut socket, or for that lock washer with the ears you have to bend over? The hub sockets from checker auto around here seem to hold up, for now anyways.