Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Shaft Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZ79K5Project, Feb 4, 2007.

1. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of swapping axle shafts and doing crossover. I have searched my service manual and have come up dry. I have a couple of questions. There are a couple of differences between my new (chrome moly) and spare axle shafts. (28 spline 10 bolts)

What do you call the the gasket/seal that sits at the end of the shaft - wtf is it? Is it the dirt shield? Arrow #1...

The new axle does not have the large sized shield at the very end of the shaft. It is welded to the old shaft .. (Arrow #2). Is there something missing or just different designs?
    axle.jpg

Edit: One more pic. I moved the gasket/seal away from the end of the shaft for the pic:
    P1010815.JPG

axle.jpg

P1010815.JPG

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  2. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

the rubber seal, iirc, is just the dirt seal like you said, the metal ring, iirc, is just another type of the same thing, just swap the rubber, and put it together.

3. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Got some answers

I went to 4 Wheel Parts today and I got an exploded view of the D44 axle. The exploded view has a spacer listed (part 51). I have never seen this in any axle that I have pulled apart. Anyone.

Axle - Exploded.jpg

Axle - Exploded Parts List.jpg

Axle - Exploded.jpg

Axle - Exploded Parts List.jpg

4. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

#48 - Slinger -- Spindle Yoke.
    This is on the list in the previous post. I bought this in a set from NAPA. It comes in a spindle seal kit. It is not welded on but pressed on. I hope this helps you.