Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Shaft U Joints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, May 22, 2006.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey everyone this is a pretty newbie question, i searched and read in my Haynes repair but i cant find the answer and i dont wanna mess anything up. The ujoint in the front right axle shaft of my D44 is completely worn out. i got all 4 retainer clips off like the normal rear driveshaft ones, and i figure the caps just push out like the driveshaft ones but i cant get them to move at all. The bearing caps do press outward normally right?

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yep! chances are they are really rusted in there. especially if they have been in there for years, you'll need a good dose of pb blaster and a way of putting a lot of force on the ujoint to bust it through. i can use a mini sledge and socket now, but when i first changed my joints i used a ball joint removal tool and an impact.

get em soaked in pb blaster(or similar penetrant) before anything, the longer they sit dowsed in that stuff the better. after you do get the old ones out, make sure to clean up the shaft ear surfaces. makes the install easier.

3. stockk5

haha good then out will come my good friend angle grinder.. im pretty handy w/ the thing.. cut the things off then i can really get some force in there straight onto each cup. thanks!

4. stockk5

alright.. this isnt working.. i cut the ujoint apart so i could individually try to hammer the caps out.. they dont seem to want to move AT all.. which way do they come out? i am hammering from the inside trying to pop them outward. they say spicer on the caps as well. dont know if that helps. but i cant get them to budge.. any idea?

5. K5TRLBLZR

K5TRLBLZR Registered Member

Most automotive and repair shops have a press. It might be worth the 5 or 10 bucks it cost to have somebody press them out. Make sure you put spicers back in and not some cheap ones or you'll be doing it all over again.
    LOL

6. stockk5

my friend has a press i can go use but what way do they press out? do i press them from the outside in or inside out?

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

hmmm what I do is remove the caps... soak with pb blaster...
    now the trick...

need a BFH (BIg Fricken Hammer)
    and a socket bigger than the cap
    and a socket big enough to fit in the hole of the cap...

I place the bigger socket on the bottom socket nut side up...
    place axle over it.... then hold it there.. place the smaller socket on top and hit with hammer... basically... if you do this on cement... you will allow the bigger socket to hold the axle up while the smaller socket will push the cap inward... once you get it banged all the way down.... you should be able to pry the cap out... then go backwards... keep doing until they are all out...

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

It doesn't matter which way the caps come out. Whatever way is easiest.

I'm assuming you're using a hammer and socket? How big is your hammer? Use a big, heavy sledge if you have one. If they're the originals, I'd bet there just rusted in there. One thing I've done when using the hammer method, is to take a pair of vise grips and clamp them around the socket and hold onto that....that way I can really wail on the socket without fear of smashing the shiit out of my fingers, and the socket doesn't take off under the bench never to be found again.:wink1:

9. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

i always smash whats left of them towards the center with a socket / hammer. you could always try a c-clamp to press them inwards.

10. GM4wheeling

GM4wheeling 1/2 ton status

You'd need a hell of a C-clamp, lol! If you're beating it with a hammer there's not much a C-clamp will do. BIGGER HAMMER!!! And the vise grips idea is the only way to do it... otherwise your socket goes flying. The easiest way is to push them inwards. Invest in a bigger hammer, it's definetly worth it. Or like they said, go use a good press.
    Another way is how the Haynes manual says. Use one socket that's bigger then the cap and one that fits in it and put it in a good vise... I prefer the BFH!!

11. stockk5

well i went over a friends and beat it sensless w/ his bfh.. they poped out, now for the 2nd problem, i go to press the new ones in.. they go in smooth but not all the way to get the clips on.. im doing this w/ a vise and so i am rippin on the vise to try to get it even.. and then.. crack.... i am so pissed off at these things..
    [​IMG]

also what year axle do i have? i have 2 other sets of axles i tried to put in but they are quite different, mine is the one on the bottom.
    [​IMG]

12. stockk5

i keep searching and find nothing.. anyone?

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I cant see your pics.... however I put them back in the same way...

bfh
    put axle on cement..... tap cap on... once both are tapped on and flush.... then you need to tap in a bit more on one end.. get the clip on.. tap back the other way.... which will take more effort..... and put that clip on...

it is frustrating the first time.. but very duable... the vise maybe a good way to get them out... and even to get them started.. however you are not gonna be able to get them to go in enough with just the vice...
    at lease that is my opinion....:crazy:

14. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Chances are you bent the ears of the yoke pressing the old joints out (I have done this twice). If you still have access to a press you can straighten the ears with some creativity, but dont get crazy or the ears will break off and you'll be stuck.

That seems like the reason the clips wont go in. I had that problem a few times before.

15. GM4wheeling

GM4wheeling 1/2 ton status

Yeah, must be bent... would explain why it was such a pain to get them off too. Did clean out the insides of the ears before you put the new one in? Maybe just big build up of crud and rust on the insides??