Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle shaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rdogk5, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Rdogk5

Rdogk5 Newbie

Ok 1990 blazer my front axle broke on the passagerside right at the u-joint. Got the axle both inner,outer with the u-joint from a local shop for 150 bucks they sent it out and got me back a new one looks like its just some standerd axle thats been cut and machined to fit. ok heres the problem I cant get the disk assmebley back on the steering knuckle it kind of seems like the u-joint is too big theres only like 1/8in play before it hits the knuckle. How do I get it back on? do i have to take the bolts out ? there pressed in right so how do I get them off and back in . The truck right now is sitting in my drive way and by morning im gonna have to shovle the snow out of my way to get to it. Its my plow truck can some one please help me.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

So you have the hub/rotor off , and you are trying to get the bare spindle back on to the knuckle over the axleshaft ?

Pull the front cover of the diff , see if the axle is touching the center pin of the differential , if it is the shaft is too long , take it back to the machine shop and look in the classified here for a whole set for way less than that .

Basically you have knuckle with studs , axle goes through , then spindle , then backing plate , then hub rotor over spindle , then nut , lockwasher , lnut , then locking hub :k5: :k5:

3. Rdogk5

Rdogk5 Newbie

Yeah the axle shaft is good the some size as the other one(Except for the peice (housing)that the u-joint sits in there a little bigger) and its not touching the the center part of the diff. The knuckel with the studs just wont go on I can get the bottom stud in but the top I cant theres just not enofe play to get it in. I keep thinking there must be a trick to it but the u-joint housing just keeps getting in my way wont let get the top one in unless the bottom one is out. and viceaversa.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Look inside the spindle and see if any needle bearings fell out and are keeping the spindle from sittng flush :k5: :k5: