Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle shims

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Jul 24, 2001.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Anybody have some insite on where to get shims? I've called Skyjacker and they dont sell them. They only come on the spring packs.

Im sure I can have some made at a local machine shop, but how do I know they will know how to make them correctly?
    Im not sure of the shim I need yet.
    I have an angle finder, which Im about to go use to find these angles.

Im doing this to get my rear to 1 or 2 degrees till I can aford to have the perches moved or I till I can learn to use this welder in my garage.

Beer!!!! Its not just for breakfast anymore!!.[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

2. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

I think Off Road Design has them.

Chad

3. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

I can get steele shims from riteway spring in Tacoma, WA. I have a set of 6 degree shims on the rear of my truck. I welded them to 1in solid steele blocks. The shims and blocks ran me about $40. The set even came with a dowel to use as a spring pin.

73 3/4 ton Chevy. 383 stroker, TH350, NP 205, 14bolt FF(Detroit), Dana 44(limited Slip), 6in. lift, 36x 14.5 super swampers

4. bigredblazer

bigredblazer 1/2 ton status

You should be able to pick them up at your local 4x4 shop. If not then call Stephen at Off Road Design, and he can probably fix you up! Jon

Blazin' Trails ORD Style

5. NOT4SHW

NOT4SHW Guest

I bought 6 degree shims from 4wheelparts and they run about $20 a pair with the center bolts. The Shims are Superlift and the bolts are Rancho. I haven't installed them yet but I do have them and if you need I can find the paper work and get you the part #'s.

'79 K5,13 1/2" lift, 39.5 TSL's,15x12 Eagles,350,t-350,warn 8274,39.5 Boggers for wheeling!

6. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I have a set of 2 1/2 degree shims that came with the lift kit I got. There yours if you want, will trade for a beer later.
    Larry

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Beer later!!! [​IMG]
    Well, I was playing with my new Blue point angle finder last night. This thing ROCKS!!!! All lift installers must have one. They are only $22 from Snap-on, has a magnet built in, just stick it on the shaft, get that angle then stick it on the u-joint's as they are vertical, get that angle then subtract the difference. Very easy to read the numbers. I now now my rear joint angles are 7 at the front of the shaft and 4 at the rear. Thus the vibrations.
    But I used the ol geometry last night, I figured I'll have to raise the t-case back up then take my angles and get the correct shim from there.
    Just need to know where to get some. Right now I have a 4 deg shim. So Im betting on about an 8 or close to it to get the rear to be 1 or 2 degrees for the CV shaft.

Next question, would it hurt to just weld the shim to the spring perch or should I go ahead and move the perch in the future?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would stay away from welding the shim to the pearch! It would seam kinda overkill to do so. That is what the center pin is for! Just check your Ubolt torque from time to time and no way that shim is gonna pop out!
    Best of luck!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I was just thinking that a 8 to 10 degree shim would be kinda skeeeeery or debatable as far as axle wrap an all.

Yeah, I was gonna replace the Skyjacker center bolt with a good grade 5 or 8 bolt. The one that came with the springs, doesn't have a bolt head on it. So its a pain in the ass to install and remove.

10. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

8 to 10, go with moving the perches. Summit has them in their catalog. Beer now, just finished a managerial accounting class tonight.......

11. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Oh, Im gonna go with the perch move, but I need to use shims for now till I can get the perches moved. Besides I wont be doing any wheelin till I get the 4.10 gears in the rear to match the front.

Did you say I have monkeys flying outta my butt?[​IMG]