Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Shims

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hd44blazer, Feb 5, 2007.

1. hd44blazer

hd44blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 6 inch lift on my truck and wanted some input on axle shims, what degree shims are some of you using, if anything, with a low pinion 10bolt front axle. Thanks

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can't really shim a front axle to get a good pinion angle as you will mess up your steering geometry. Rears can be shimmed no problem. If you have a serious problem with the front you'll need to alter the axle IE: rotate the knuckles and spring pads or the centre section, all of which is not really a 'guess and weld' job.

3. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

you can run front shims if you are using a longer shackle at the rear of the leaf. the longer shackle will give a terrible pinion angle due to the roatation of the diff. if you shim it, it will bring it back to spec. i would not recommend this however. i tried this and those shims suck as. i broke 3 sets of them and they fell out, leaving my axle plenty of room to wiggle and around and break center pins.

if you arent using the longer shackles and your pinion angle sucks, get a new dshaft with u-joints...$$$

4. jamber2541

jamber2541 1/2 ton status

A friend had the same problem with aluminum shims, he ordered some steel shims and no more problems. He was running longer shackles and did require shims to correct the angle.

5. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

i made steel shims for mine and there at 4*. I got some 3/8 flat stock and started :grind: until they looked perfectly the same as the aluminum ones. I have no death wobble as well and i have 1" longer then stock shackles on a 6" lift spring.