Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle sleeves

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Jun 3, 2000.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

My right rear axle shaft leaks out about once a year. I don't know if its cos of pressure building up or a burr or groove on the shaft itself. My Q is, is it better to replace the shaft or get a sleeve installed and go with a bigger seal? Take it easy and keep cool if you can

creepin and crawlin
    jim

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Jimmy, you should have a vent hose comming out of the rearend somewhere....maybe on the top of an axle. Make sure it's not plugged or kinked. A sleeve would work OK if ya can find one. If it's a small groove you might get rid of it with some good emery cloth and elbow grease. A good used axle from a salvage yard should be cheap also.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Check the vent tube if plugged unplug it.If you need to put seals in it go to napa and get the axle saver bearings this puts the seal and bearings in different positions on the axle.Check the axle for pitting first though if bad get a replacement.New $100 from 4wheel parts.Brady