Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle stand. pics

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by rdn2blazer, Jun 19, 2006.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

a few years ago there was this piece of tooling on wheels, kind of a cart or base, or stand of somesort sitting around our machine shop yard. it was kinda rusty and it never got used. so one day I asked my boss what was it for? he said they welded it up for a job then the job was canceled so its just been floating around for years.

so I asked if I could have it to make something out of it. he said sure. so I brought it home and made a axle stand out of it. I widened to fit just outside my spring pearches just between the pearch and flange of my crewcab 14FF. then I had to make some way to support the axle so I welded up these legs and used the "V" tops off my pipe jack stands. I even got a hair up my but and thought HAY! I will make it adjustable up and down.

so I bought 2 square "U" bolts so it would be easier to pull out, kinda like a handle, and made pins out of them to hold the legs up with different riser holes. I turned up two teflon rings for the jack screw handles to spin on, figured it would be less friction when trying to level the axle.

the problem I ran into was when I bought my blazer then got my 14FF for that truck I found out the spring pearches were obviously a different width. so the axle did not sit in the "V" well. it could not spin 360 deg without hitting a pearch since the width of the stand is fixed. so I had to add in a adjustable riser that could be adjusted side to side. I just take one V jack screws out of the stands riser leg and put it into the adjustable slider riser and position it where ever I want then tighten it down to take the movement out of it.

ok, this stand is WAY OVERKILL and completely unnecessary, BUT! EVERY PIECE of material for this stand was given to me by my boss except for the jack screws. everytime I ask do you mind if I use this he allways says use what you want, I dont care. it does work great for holding an axle to work on it. here are some pics.

DSCN1219.JPG

DSCN1220.JPG

DSCN1222.JPG

DSCN1221.JPG

DSCN1223.JPG

2. rdn2blazer

I also POR 15'ed it and powder coated the handles just to see what the color looked like. more pics.

DSCN1224.JPG

DSCN1226.JPG

DSCN1227.JPG

DSCN1228.JPG

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  3. rdn2blazer

my 4 yr old took this one.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I respectfully submit that you change your tagline to read "Tool nerd" :haha:

-- A

5. rdn2blazer

LOL!:haha: :haha: :haha: OH MY GOD THATS SO TRUE!:haha: :haha: I have a 0 to 1 in mic, a 1/2 in wrench and philips screw driver in my pocket protector.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Things were looking pretty good up until that last pic, then ya had to go and mess it up... :(

;)

Me thinks I've seen that somewhere before. That has got to be one of the most trick axle stands I've seen, and probably the most beefy too! :eek:

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dude, where do you live? I wanna buy the house right next door. :thumb: Few better friends to have than a guy who has mad machining skills and lots of cool truck toys as a result. :grin: I don't even drink beer, but I'd have a full fridge if I was your neighbor. lol!!!!

j

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Kinda makes my usual setup of 3 jackstands look pretty lame.

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Nice, no more bending to clean, sand, and paint.

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

NIce work! I use a variety of stands around the shop. The longer I go the more I need to build something axle specific. Good job.