Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Strength

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91KJIMMY, Oct 10, 2000.

1. 91KJIMMY

91KJIMMY Registered Member

I currently have 30 spline 10 bolts under my 91 and i am wondering if they will be strong enough for running my 36X14.50X16.5 Baja's. I have looked at a couple of places like ORD that have buildup parts, but will that work?

2. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

my gess is no, i would upgrade, I'm sure others on hear will say the same thing with much more detail. Especially if you are going to do any sort of wheeling.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gosple!

3. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I tend to agree. I am struggling with whether or not to "try" to "bulletproof" my 12-bolt and d44, or just replace them with d60s or a 14-boltFF and A d60. I just like the look of the six-lug wheels better. I know, I know, the studs are small, but I've already got the 1/2" moroso 3" long chromoly racing studs on order to replace the small ones. I feel these circle-track studs will work fine with the wheelin I do here in Las Cruces. I also feel certain that the 12-bolt can be built to handle 36's pretty easily, (but expensively), but I still don't trust the 10-bolt stuff. I've seen too many wheels just slide right out from under the truck on those dudes.

My two cents,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

4. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

I was running 35x12.5x15 on the original 10bolts. It worked for a few years but with mild to moderate wheeling. Just finished replacing the rear axle due to an explosion. It will catch up to you, just depends on where and when.
    good luck

go heavy or go home

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I ran 35" Kelly DTR's for about 3 years on my 82 when I first bought it. I had two 10 bolts and the rear had a Gov-lok. They held up fine and back then we were going wheelin about 5 times a week!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I, too, wish that there was a definite answer to this. Everyone knows that there some other Chevy axles available that are much stronger. How strong do you need? That is a good question. Have I seen lots of trucks with 35's or 36's on 10-bolts? Yes.
    Will your 10-bolts hold up if you're not too hard on them? Maybe, Maybe not.
    My opinion is this: if you don't have much money in your 10-bolts, get a 14-bolt or D60 and sell the 10-bolts. If you can find the right buyer for the 10-bolts (maybe somebody who just broke some 28-spline 10-bolts?) it can help to compensate the cost of the upgrade.
    If you have custom axleshafts, have spent money on new gears or have a FF kit on a 10-bolt, just stick with it and maybe buy a new axleshaft from time to time. Plus, even if you bend a TUBE or something, you can snag a whole 10-bolt assembly for $150 and move all of your custom parts over.

By replacing your 10-bolt carrier with a full-case locker or LSD, upgrading to high quality gears and putting in custom axleshafts, the 10-bolt weak points are much improved. If you also add a FF kit, the axle is actually nearing the strength of a Dana 60. So the upgrade parts will make a 10-bolt pretty tough (i.e. tough enough), but they cost more than a bigger axle assembly does.

It's just best to do it before you've even bought custom wheels or a custom driveshaft.

My personal plan (in case you care :-) ), is to just put off some of the mods that I have planned until such time that I come across the right deal on better axles.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Keep in mind that wider tires put more stress on axles, I ran 35/36" 12.5" wide tires and blew up my rear 10 bolt twice and broke the front Dana 44 axle u-joints the last two times I went to Moab. Depends on how much fun you want to have, when I broke my front u-joints I was having FUN! The more fun you want to have the stronger your axles have to be. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

8. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

Take it from 10 bolts of fury, I am running 36x12.5 TSL-SX Swampers on my 28 spline 10 bolt axles and I have only had one incident with a front short side axle blowing a joint. (Well, I did snap a stock rear axle with 33" tires last year) I upgraded early this year to Moser axles in the rear with a Detroit EZ locker and have been lucky so far. I am planning on replacing the rear axle soon, but I do not plan on replacing the front 10 bolt. Heck, I have gotten pretty fast at replacing front axles and the local boneyard only charges $25 per side for replacements.

9. 91KJIMMY

91KJIMMY Registered Member

My main concern is the life of the axle's on the road under normal conditions,it's a daily driver. The truck does get used offroad, but not really that heavily. I bought the truck about a year and half ago and it is in almost showroom condition so it would be a shame to really beat it offroad. I use an 84 K5 for the heavy stuff, it runs one tons that the original owner put under the truck. Thanks for all the info:)

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

91KJIMMY,
    What are you doing? 1-ton axles should never be placed under an 84 K5. You had better ship those axles to me immediately and I will send you some nice 10-bolts to replace them. :)

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700