Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle swap brake line question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79 blazer, Jun 23, 2005.

1. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

so i am switching 12 bolts to get a better gear ratio. and am going to swap it tomorrow the only thing is i just realized that i have never delt with disconecting the brake lines. so what do i do to keep brake fluid from spilling everywhere? or do i just have to drain the system and refill it. also when im done and i bleed the brakes what is the order to go in? any help would be great as i dont know anything about setting up brakes. thanks

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

When I swapped axles I just disconnected the brake lines at the 'T' on top of the pumpkin. I don't remember fluid gushing out, but I did take a small piece of folded up paper towel and twist it into the 'T' so fluid wouldn't leak out and dirt wouldn't get in. When bleeding the brakes work from the farthest from the master cylinder to the closest (i.e. right rear, left rear, right front, left front). But since you're only disturbing the rear brakes you only need to bleed the rears. And in case you don't already know, when you push down on the pedal while bleeding, don't press it all the way to the floor or you can tear the seal in the master cylinder. You want to keep the pedal about 2 inches from the floor. A 2x4 under the brake pedel would help keep it from going to the floor.

3. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

:cool1: thanks alot. :cool1: that should cover everything i need to know.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

you can pinch the soft line going to the rear axle with a small set of needle nose vise grips, don't crush it just enough to keep fluid from going everywhere

5. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

so if i dont pinch will fluid go everywhere or not?

6. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

7. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

not necessarily, if your system is in good shape and you don't take the cover off of the master cylinder your fluid loss willbe minimal, if you have to leave your brake lines off overnight then I would do something to keep them from bleeding down