Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle swap/driveline

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcsrgr8, May 11, 2002.

1. gmcsrgr8

gmcsrgr8 Registered Member

I bought a truck last week because it was a 3/4 ton and I was planning to do an axle swap.Unfortunately, the front axle was a dana 44. I decided to use it any way because I don't want to waste my money re-gearing and converting to 8 lugs on my original 10 bolt.Now that my donor truck is sitting on it's frame, I am wondering if the driveline on my 10 bolt will fit the Dana 44, or am I going to have to get the driveline off of the truck?

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Well, first, i don't know why you say unfortunately a D44 cause its just as strong as a 10 bolt if not a little more so, but to answer your question, yes it should be the same u joint for the front, i have the front drive shaft from an 86 in my 75 and it fit, the rear will need a conversion joint, do a search on the subject to find out which one, different years needed a different joint, in addition, if you dont want to swap the front axel out, everything from the knuckles out will interchange between the 10 bolt and 44.

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

if you have an original 10 bolt rear in there the part number for the ujoint to go from that driveshaft to the 14 bolt is 447 at napa

Later