Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle swap from 87 to 90

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AL87K5, Apr 14, 2006.

1. AL87K5

AL87K5 Newbie

I have a 87 k5 with 10 bolt front and rear axle 3:08 my rear axle is trashed a local juunkyard that deals mainly with 4x4 parts has a set front and rear axles the rear is a 4:10 with a eaton posi complete (I have inspected and is in good shape and removed axles also and they are in good condition)the front axle only has the gears no axles,spindles or rotors and have the4:10 also,will my remaining parts interchange on the front axle. I have a 4" lift with 33" the price is 450.00 for front and rear any help with the front axle would be helpful my axles are 28 spline and I know the rear of the 4:10 is 30

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes they will. All GM 1/2 and 3/4 ton straight axle trucks 73 and up use the same spring widths and everything. All of the outer front end parts will exchange fine. $450 seems a bit high just to replace 10 bolts. The rear axle is the weak point in the half ton axles. Might consider upgrading to a 14B semi floating axle, or even stronger full floater. You could pick up a set of junkyard 3/4 ton gear for around the same price. The 14 bolt full floater is almost unbreakable. The 3/4 ton 10 bolt and Dana 44 is the same as the half ton just 8 lug instead of 6. If you want to replace the 10b rear post in the wanted section of the board you could prolly find one for free. I know I tossed mine. I couldnt even sell it for parts LOL.

edit: I see you arent a paying member, but if there are some members in your area the $25 dollar membership fee would pay for itself in a free axle ;)

3. AL87K5

AL87K5 Newbie

Thanks for the info I need to upgrade but I'm knew to this board but if anybody is close to the Birmingham Al. area with axles that I was needing please post

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I don't have any axles to offer you, just wanted to say welcome! It's nice to see another member from Bama. :thumb: