Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Swap Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bradschmeider, Oct 9, 2003.

1. bradschmeider

bradschmeider Newbie

I a proud new owner of a 72 K5 and also a new member. I have limited mechanical experience, but I am gutting this blazer all this winter if it doesn't drive me crazy first. The truck has a 44 & 12 bolt already, but I want to upgrade the axles. I live in the Outer Banks of NC and this truck will be used primarily offroad. I plan in the future to put a lot more horses under the hood and abuse it on the beach. I have it on blocks in my garage and have all winter to play with it. I have some general questions though...

Do all 14 bolts from chevy fit under a 72?
    Which specific ones should I look for?
    What is a full floater and why is this preferred?
    How do you tell the axle is a full floater?
    What other parts will I need to swap?
    Same questions as above for a Dana 60 up front?
    Any books or places on the web to make job easier?

Any help on this is appreciated. Colorado k5 has been a big help in all of my other projects on this blazer so far. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Make sure it is from a pick-up and not a van,you Can tell a full floater by looking at the hubs by the lug nuts,you will see a circle of bolts on the hub.a full floater allows you to remove the axles with out removing the wheels,also you can take out the pinion gear from the front without removing the ring gear.a real strong axle and parts are fairly cheap.your best bet is to buy a set that came off the same truck as far as a 60- 14bolt ff goes,that way the gear ratios are the same.check ebay or the for sale forum on this site.if you buy them seperate when you look at a 60 make sure it is a open kunkle design and not a closed-look by the rotors you should see U-joints-also look at the front housing,at the 5 oclock position you will see a 60 in the casting-also where the steering arm mounts it will have 4 bolts in a square pattern-I have seen guys trying to pass off dana 44's as a 60-good luck

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Also look to spend in the 1000.00-1200.00 range for the pair.and if you plan on rebuiling the pair-new gears ,seals,it can get real expensive quick,I have at least 4000.00 in mine.you can buy new from places like boycee equipment,dyna trac and some others