Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Swap IH Scout to K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wed68, May 26, 2005.

1. wed68

wed68 Registered Member

I have a hell of a deal on a 78 scout that is rusted pretty bad, will the front and rear axles swap out with my weak stock 10 bolts on my 84 K5? Is there a lot to it or is it straight forward?

Thanks
    Bill

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Scouts are narrower than a K5. It won't work out. Not to mention at least the front axle is spring UNDER not over like our rigs.

3. wed68

wed68 Registered Member

Thanks for the info I will pass on the deal!

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I think the Scout has Dana 44's front and rear, about the same as a 10 bolt.

5. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

Good news, bad news.

yes you can fit 10 bolts under a scout II just fine. getting them to work is the hard part.

bad news
    (experience speaking)

The 10b front will fit under the scout and bolt up if you reverse the pin in your spring pack (scout springs, makes it spring over axle). The distance between spring perch centers in not much.

you will need crossover steering to get the GM axles to work in a scout!

basically you are doing 2 major changes at one time. crossover steering and spring over axle. on my truck I got half way through with it and decided to just buy a new GM style frame instead of messing with the scout frame on my 1945 chevy.

I payed 100 for a blazer frame with 4-6" lift kit on it already and used my 3/4 ton axles. much cheaper than using scout crap and cobble building.

just use common sense in your build it can work it was just more money than I had at the time

6. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

They do but unless you have 2 in backspacing on your wheels 12.5 is about as wide as you can go and still not clear the springs!