Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle swap options. Urgent!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FastMaxx, Sep 24, 2005.

1. FastMaxx

FastMaxx Registered Member

Ok, I have a 86 k5 (daily driver) w/ 10B front and rear. I turned my spyders (rear) into dice the other day :doah: . I can't for the life of me find a 3.42 geared rear end (junkyards). The reason I need the whole rear end is b/c the center pin was welded in, ring & pinion chewed up by spyders, and I dont know how to "set up" a rear end. I think I found a 10B (or 12B) w/ 3.73 gears, 5 lug. I can get it for free... Will my 6 lug axles swap in (10B or 12B)? Can I run it if I keep it in 2WD? This would be a temporary fix. After I get my lift and tires (35s) Im going to get 4.56 gears for f/r. I've done many searches and nothing answered my question completely. P.S. Driving your grandma's mini van back and forth to school and work is no fun. My friends > :haha: Thanks for any and all help.

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I know that on older 12 bolts the 5 lug and 6 lug axles will interchange. I don't know about 10 bolt axles and 12 bolt axles swapping though, but it is something I've been wondering? :ears:

You will be fine in 2 wheel drive.

;)

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

If it's a 12B, you can interchange 6 lug 12B shafts/drums. IIRC, you cannot interchange 10B/12B axle shafts. The brake hardware should work the same on both axles, but the axles shafts themselves are a different spline count. I have a spare set of 12B 6 lug shafts if you decide to go that route. Heck I have a complete 3.73 12B w/ rear discs that I would let go for a pretty low price.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Personal experience , 10 bolt shafts won't work in a 12 bolt . Center pin ( crosshaft , or pinion pin ) is bigger in the 10 bolt , so the axles are shorter on the 10 bolt .

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

If the center pin is welded in and can't be removed, you probobly won't be able to get the axle shafts out anyway.

6. FastMaxx

FastMaxx Registered Member

Yeah a big hammer (ford wrench) solved that :D just phuked up the carrier. I guess I learned my lesson about doing burn-outs with slick a$$ 31s on the asphalt.

7. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Time for a 14 bolt maybe?

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

thats what it sounds like to me, this about the time i started the "transformation" from the 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton setup, get ya a 14bff and a couple of cheapo steal wheels from the junk yard to just get ya by for the time being, and put alittle into each alittle at a time,,,,heck i drove around for almost 2 years with a 14bff 8 lug rear, and a 10b 6 lug front, similar sized (measurement wise) tires, and still wheeled it.

was ugly, but it worked